"Minden" Minden by Rupanworld
Minden Travel Guide: 0 reviews and 10 photos
I had a very short break at Minden. Just changed a train on way to Cologne from Hamburg. So I cannot tell much about this small town. However, I really liked train station building there and despite the biting cold weather, took some photos of things around. So here some of them.
From what information I have gathered, Minden during the 19th century was a Prussian fortress and had a wall around the entire city until 1873. There was water on all sides, including the Weser River and various canals. The walls are no more to be found although the river and canals very much remain.
So here’s something from history:
In 798 AD Minden was first mentioned in the Frankish Imperial Annals. In 800 AD Charlemagne founded the diocese of Minden. By 1230 it joined the Hanseatic League and Minden's citizens and their council begin trading independently. Perhaps the most important of all, in 1759 there was the Battle of Minden, where Duke Ferdinand of Brunswick led a coalition army of England, Hanover, Brunswick, Schaumburg-Lippe and Prussia to victory over French and Saxon troops. In 1806 Minden is occupied by French troops and awarded to the Kingdom of Westphalia. And in 1813 Minden was recaptured by the Prussian troops and it was then that the fortress was built. Finally in 1847 the Minden-Cologne railway line was opened.
Although I did not have much time to see about the city, I can mention some important places of visit in the city like the cathedral (11th–13th cent. AD), the city hall (13th–17th cent. AD), the Boat mill, Mindener Museum and I heard cruising across the river is also possible. It is also worth mentioning that during the heavy bombings of the World War II, parts of the Altstadt (Old Town) of Minden was destroyed. These attacks destroyed the cathedral, Weser bridge and town hall, and killed many residents.
I had a walk around the railway station and very much wanted to spend some more time there. The beauty of the small city appealed much to me. I hope there's a second chance.
Rupanworld's Related Pages
Badges & Stats in Minden
- 0 Reviews
- 7 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (15)
Have you been to Minden?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Minden
Photos in MindenSee All Photos (7)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination India Intro, 119 reviews, 237 photos, 5 travelogues
- Delhi Intro, 104 reviews, 183 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lübeck Intro, 52 reviews, 204 photos, 5 travelogues
- Goa Intro, 74 reviews, 148 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Århus Intro, 49 reviews, 147 photos, 2 travelogues
- Barcelona Intro, 51 reviews, 122 photos
- Stockholm Intro, 49 reviews, 115 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Delhi Intro, 53 reviews, 99 photos
- Paris Intro, 41 reviews, 106 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bratislava Intro, 44 reviews, 91 photos