"My first Foreign Tour" Top 5 Page for this destination Bangladesh by Rupanworld
Bangladesh Travel Guide: 473 reviews and 1,282 photos
My first foreign tour was to Bangladesh in June 1990. I was to visit there as the Borjatri / Baaraati (Groom's party) of my youngest maternal uncle living in the United States who was getting married on the 2nd of July to a lady, also living in the United States, but having her parental house at Dhaka. Consequently, the marriage was to take place at Dhaka, the beautiful capital city of Bangladesh. My first foreign tour amazed me, surprised me and shocked me at the same time.
One very important thing about the country that I liked was that people speak in the same tongue as mine. They are Bengalees just like me. So I can't say that I had completely a feeling of being in a foreign land in this aspect. Although I was only fifteen years old at the time, long seventeen years back, I still have very clear memories about the country, or rather the Dhaka city. I liked the people who I thought had a very good heart, and especially, very keen on hosting their Indian friends to the best of their capabilities.
The time I visited Dhaka, it was some IDD (EID) time, and consequently one of the bad memories I have is of cow slaughter, on roads, in lanes, at houses, in the market places, everywhere. Whenever we stepped on the roads, we had to be very cautious as not to step on animal blood, because some cow might have been slaughtered at the spot some time back. Indeed, blood stains were everywhere. Another bad experience was with the comments passed on to one of our hosts, a lady, who was driving us home after a day out. People there seemed not to accept the fact that a lady could drive a car. I am sure things might have changed a lot by now, afterall, the country has a Nobel prize winner now!
- Pros:Warm and hospitable people
- Cons:Rickshaws and less liberty for women
- In a nutshell:A country of contrasts
Jamdani sarees of Bangladesh are famous. They are beautiful, generally light coloured fine sarees with single or multi... more travel advice
Cox Bazar is said to be the world's longest (120 kilometers) natural sand beach. It is the greatest tourist attraction... more travel advice
Rupanworld's Related Pages
Bangladesh Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Saagar's Bangladesh pages"
- "A big relief after India"
- "My first Foreign Tour"
- "My Once Upon a Time Home"
- "Bangladesh Page"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Bangladesh
- Hotels in Bangladesh
- Transportation in Bangladesh
- Nightlife in Bangladesh
- Restaurants in Bangladesh
- Shopping in Bangladesh
- Warnings and Dangers in Bangladesh
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Bangladesh
- 12 Reviews
- 23 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (18)
Have you been to Bangladesh?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Bangladesh
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination India Intro, 119 reviews, 237 photos, 5 travelogues
- Delhi Intro, 104 reviews, 183 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lübeck Intro, 52 reviews, 204 photos, 5 travelogues
- Goa Intro, 74 reviews, 148 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Århus Intro, 49 reviews, 147 photos, 2 travelogues
- Barcelona Intro, 51 reviews, 122 photos
- Stockholm Intro, 49 reviews, 115 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Delhi Intro, 53 reviews, 99 photos
- Paris Intro, 41 reviews, 106 photos, 1 travelogue
- Bratislava Intro, 44 reviews, 91 photos