"My first Foreign Tour" Top 5 Page for this destination Bangladesh by Rupanworld

Bangladesh Travel Guide: 465 reviews and 1,289 photos

My first foreign tour was to Bangladesh in June 1990. I was to visit there as the Borjatri / Baaraati (Groom's party) of my youngest maternal uncle living in the United States who was getting married on the 2nd of July to a lady, also living in the United States, but having her parental house at Dhaka. Consequently, the marriage was to take place at Dhaka, the beautiful capital city of Bangladesh. My first foreign tour amazed me, surprised me and shocked me at the same time.

One very important thing about the country that I liked was that people speak in the same tongue as mine. They are Bengalees just like me. So I can't say that I had completely a feeling of being in a foreign land in this aspect. Although I was only fifteen years old at the time, long seventeen years back, I still have very clear memories about the country, or rather the Dhaka city. I liked the people who I thought had a very good heart, and especially, very keen on hosting their Indian friends to the best of their capabilities.

The time I visited Dhaka, it was some IDD (EID) time, and consequently one of the bad memories I have is of cow slaughter, on roads, in lanes, at houses, in the market places, everywhere. Whenever we stepped on the roads, we had to be very cautious as not to step on animal blood, because some cow might have been slaughtered at the spot some time back. Indeed, blood stains were everywhere. Another bad experience was with the comments passed on to one of our hosts, a lady, who was driving us home after a day out. People there seemed not to accept the fact that a lady could drive a car. I am sure things might have changed a lot by now, afterall, the country has a Nobel prize winner now!

• Pros:Warm and hospitable people
  • Cons:Rickshaws and less liberty for women
  • In a nutshell:A country of contrasts
  • Last visit to Bangladesh: Jun 1990
  • Intro Updated Sep 10, 2007

• balhannah's Profile Photo
    Jun 21, 2012 at 4:40 PM

Love your photo of all the Rickshaws! Looks like one big traffic jam!

• saidur_khan's Profile Photo
    May 3, 2008 at 3:50 AM

Its great to found another bengalees in here VT. i just visited some of your pages,Hope you will visit again soon. you have amaging pages and pics on your tours.Convey my warm blessing to your nice, cute daughter. Take care.

• mallyak's Profile Photo
    Feb 21, 2008 at 11:51 PM

We do tend to forget Bangladesh and Pakistan as tourist destinations , but after visiting Sri Lanka, they are both very high on my agenda, but only after we return to India for good and retire.

• craic's Profile Photo
    Sep 11, 2007 at 3:32 AM

Fascinating page, beautiful photos - that less liberty for women is a terrible thing for sure

Rupanworld

“Memories are like footprints on the sands of time.”

Badges & Stats in Bangladesh

Have you been to Bangladesh?

Latest Activity in Bangladesh