"A couple of hours in the rain" Top 5 Page for this destination Nyköping by Rupanworld
Nyköping Travel Guide: 39 reviews and 117 photos
In the second week of April 2008 I was in Stockholm Skavsta Airport for a very cheap connecting flight by ryanair when i had about two and half hours to wait. The nearby city of Nyköping was only about 20 minutes by bus and i decided to go and see the city instead of sitting dumb at the uninteresting airport. I had never heard about this city before and would probably have never heard in future as well, if not for the desire to take a cheap flight. I did not repent my decision of visiting the city.
The city of Nyköping apart from the Nyköpingshus Castle, Sörmlands County Museum and the Nyköping river seemed have very beautiful houses. The weather was a bit spoilsport when I visited but I was desperate to see a new town and not rather get bored at the airport. Nyköping is a town on the Baltic sea on the mouth of river Nyköping. it is the administrative capital of Södermanland county of Sweden. The traces of settlers around 2,000 BC have been found in the area. In the early medieval age, this town was a capital of one the small Swedish kingdoms. The town originated in the 13th century as a marketplace around the Nyköpingshus castle.
The Nyköping Banquet of 1317 is an infamous episode in Swedish history (please read the tips for details). There was a huge fire in 1665 when large parts of the city were destroyed. The city was again destroyed when Russian troops invaded the city in 1719. thereafter the current city was built. In 2005, the population of Nyköping was a little less than 28,000.
One of my unique memories from the city was the fact that on my way back from Nyköping to Skavsta Airport, on a 20 minute long journey by bus, I was the sole passenger in the bus. Here's a picture of the bus. Very unique memory for a person coming from India.
- In a nutshell:A small but beautiful town
I don't hesitate to write here that a major part of the time that i was in this town, I spent taking photographs of... more travel advice
Rupanworld's Related Pages
Nyköping Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "A DAY IN THE COUNTRYSIDE"
- "Key city known as Stockholm South"
- "A couple of hours in the rain"
- "I LOVE Sweden!!"
- "Nyköping pictures"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Nyköping
- Hotels in Nyköping
- Transportation in Nyköping
- Nightlife in Nyköping
- Restaurants in Nyköping
- Shopping in Nyköping
- Warnings and Dangers in Nyköping
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Nyköping
- 5 Reviews
- 19 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (18)
Have you been to Nyköping?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Nyköping
Photos in NyköpingSee All Photos (19)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination India Intro, 119 reviews, 237 photos, 5 travelogues
- Delhi Intro, 104 reviews, 183 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lübeck Intro, 52 reviews, 204 photos, 5 travelogues
- Goa Intro, 74 reviews, 148 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Århus Intro, 49 reviews, 147 photos, 2 travelogues
- Barcelona Intro, 51 reviews, 122 photos
- Stockholm Intro, 49 reviews, 115 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Delhi Intro, 53 reviews, 99 photos
- Paris Intro, 41 reviews, 106 photos, 1 travelogue
- Bratislava Intro, 44 reviews, 91 photos