"Århus: Denmark's second largest and youngest city" Top 5 Page for this destination Århus by Rupanworld
Århus Travel Guide: 312 reviews and 725 photos
Århus, originally known as Aros, is the second largest city of Denmark and the only city in the country I have visited. It is also called Denmark's Youngest city because every fifth of its inhabitants is a student at one of the city’s 25 educational and research institutions. Impliedly, at the streets, the cross section of people you come across are amazingly younger as compared to that in any other city. It lies around the centre of Denmark on the peninsula of Jutland and is unofficially known as the capital of Jutland. The city has a huge waterfront and therefore has a big and beautiful harbour. Parts of the city are very hilly while parts are still sorrounded by forests. the city is said to be dramatically expanding and is expected to be quite larger over the next decade.
The city is believed to be the oldest among the big cities of Scandinivia dating back to the 8th century AD from which time archaelogical findings have revealed many articles used by the viking settlers of the time including their houses. (hence, it is the oldest city and the youngest city at the same time) The vikings had settled on the mouth of a river right at the spot where one finds the city cathedral 'Domkirke' now. The city has played an important role in history, suffered ravages of war in the hands of the Germans and Swedish, has been gutted by fire, suffered from diseases like plague but still it has maintained the grandeur and anybody visiting the city is sure to like it. It has expanded much because of the trade through its harbour. The city has had and still has a great importance in the country's trade.
The city has many universities, institutions, museums, galleries, theatres and cultural organisations. The city, otherwise also is very very beautiful. Just strolling on the streets would make you feel good. There are just so many things to see around. The trip to the city is worth remembering, atleast so was mine. I loved every minute of my time in the city. It was the first time i was staying in a youth hostel, in any hostel/hotel whatsoever. the first time I was coming in touch with many young people from all around the world. The first time I was spending two days in a whole new city, a whole new country. And infact, my first solo trip with a stay over at night. I enjoyed the time carefree.
For more information about Arhus tourism, you can click on the following link. Official Website
- Pros:Very beautiful city, lots to see
Written Jan 5, 2009
Toy Museum at Den Gamle By
Written Jan 5, 2009
Toy Museum (More photos)
Rupanworld's Related Pages
Århus Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Århus : Den Danske By"
- "Århus: Denmark's second largest and youngest city"
- "Arhus - a place of our family-history"
- "Århus and Surrounding Attractions"
- "My hometown- at the moment"
- "The second city of Denmark"
- "Where i could spent summer like the queen does."
- See All...
- Things to Do in Århus
- Hotels in Århus
- Transportation in Århus
- Nightlife in Århus
- Restaurants in Århus
- Shopping in Århus
- Warnings and Dangers in Århus
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Århus
- 49 Reviews
- 147 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (15)
Have you been to Århus?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Århus
Photos in ÅrhusSee All Photos (147)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination India Intro, 119 reviews, 237 photos, 5 travelogues
- Delhi Intro, 104 reviews, 183 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lübeck Intro, 52 reviews, 204 photos, 5 travelogues
- Goa Intro, 74 reviews, 148 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Århus Intro, 49 reviews, 147 photos, 2 travelogues
- Barcelona Intro, 51 reviews, 122 photos
- Stockholm Intro, 49 reviews, 115 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Delhi Intro, 53 reviews, 99 photos
- Paris Intro, 41 reviews, 106 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bratislava Intro, 44 reviews, 91 photos
FriendsSee All Friends (41)
Latest Århus hotel reviews
- 1 Review & Opinion
- Radisson SAS Scandinavia Hotel Arhus
- 155 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 17, 2013
- Scandic Hotel
- 33 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 30, 2013
- Comfort Hotel Atlantic
- 37 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 26, 2013
- Helnan Marselis Hotel
- 55 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 5, 2013
- Hotel Royal
- 47 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 7, 2013
- City Sleep-In Arhus
- 39 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 16, 2013
- Cab Inn
- 107 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 30, 2013