"Germany's United Nations City" Bonn by Rupanworld
Bonn Travel Guide: 267 reviews and 872 photos
Bonn is the Capital city of the former West Germany and was so for 41 years, 1949 to 1990. It is situated by the river Rhine in the German state of Land North Rhine Westfalia, near Cologne. It is the 19th largest city in Germany. From 1998, many national government offices were moved from Bonn to Berlin. However, Bonn still remains to be a centre of politics and administration. It is now called the 'Bundesstadt', or a Federal City. A little bit of history here: The city of Bonn was first known as Castra Bonnensia, and was a fortress built by the Romans in the 1st century AD. It became a civilian settlement after the breaking of the Roman Empire and in the 9th century AD, it came to be known as the Frankish town of Bonnburg, from which the present name Bonn emerges.
One present significance of this city is that it is called Germany's United Nations City. This City currently hosts 16 United Nations institutions and agencies, most of which are based at the newly established United Nations Campus in the area where the former parliamentary offices were situated, by the banks of the river Rhine. Another great significance of Bonn is that it has been the birthplace of Beethoven, perhaps the world's greatest composers and my favourite. The Rheinische Friedrich Wilhems Universität Bonn (University of Bonn) is one of the largest universities in Germany and its buildings are spread throughout the city. So Bonn is also known as the city of Universities.
The Haus der Geschichte der Bundesrepublik Deutschland (Museum of the History of the Federal Republic of Germany) is an important history museum here and a must see for visitors apart from the Beethoven house.
I have a regret that I was not able to spend much more time in this city and see all that the city has to offer, many museums, many other places of significance and ofcource, the United Nations quarter. I wish I have the opportunity to visit this capital city of the former West Germany once again in future in order to be able to explore it better.
- Pros:Good place with historical significance
- Cons:Very congested, populated
- In a nutshell:Capital city of former West Germany
Well I do not claim the authenticity of my conclusion but this was my experience. I found Bonn very very crowded, it was... more travel advice
I came to know that this building that in front of which lies the Beethovendenkmal is the old Palace of Bonn which was... more travel advice
Rupanworld's Related Pages
Bonn Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Germany's "Federal City""
- "Opera in Bonn"
- "Welcome to the former Capital city Bonn"
- "Former capital in search of new identity"
- "Former capital city"
- "Bonn - the pearl of Rhine"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Bonn
- Hotels in Bonn
- Transportation in Bonn
- Nightlife in Bonn
- Restaurants in Bonn
- Shopping in Bonn
- Warnings and Dangers in Bonn
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Bonn
- 11 Reviews
- 31 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 5 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (18)
Have you been to Bonn?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Bonn
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination India Intro, 119 reviews, 237 photos, 5 travelogues
- Delhi Intro, 104 reviews, 183 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lübeck Intro, 52 reviews, 204 photos, 5 travelogues
- Goa Intro, 74 reviews, 148 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Århus Intro, 49 reviews, 147 photos, 2 travelogues
- Barcelona Intro, 51 reviews, 122 photos
- Stockholm Intro, 49 reviews, 115 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Delhi Intro, 53 reviews, 99 photos
- Paris Intro, 41 reviews, 106 photos, 1 travelogue
- Bratislava Intro, 44 reviews, 91 photos