"The city that taught me to love" Top 5 Page for this destination Kolkata (Calcutta) by Rupanworld
Kolkata (Calcutta) Travel Guide: 694 reviews and 2,329 photos
Kolkata or Calcutta, whatever you call it (for me its all the same and I don't have a special fancy for one name as the it is the spirit of the city that matters to me), is not the city where I was born, nor the place where I spent my childhood, nor where I did my early education, but yet, I am in love with this city from the bottom of my heart. The noise, the pollution, the dirt, the chaos, the traffic, the congestion, the unemployment, the poverty, the unorganised state of things,... infact, nothing at all inspires me to cease loving it. It is the city where I came for my higher education after my graduation, I had my first job here, met my love (and now my husband), got married here, bought my first apartment, gave birth to my daughter and continued to fall in love with the 'City of Joy' every minute, every second of the day. The city has taught me many things, including the art of being a good human being. The city has taught me dedication, effort and selflessness. This city is marked for the prominent 'ever-ready to help' attitude of its people - something that would definitely touch your heart.
I have my own apartment in Kolkata and staying here makes me fell complete. I can speak my own mother tongue, which I love (and you know, in India, you have 100 different mother tongues, spoken differently after every 100 kilometers and it is difficult to be able to speak your own outside home if you are staying even a little away from your home. I stay more than 1500 kilometers away now, in the northern part of India where not only the language, but culture, food habit, dressing, looks, and even houses and the colour of the soil is different. So I guess, I have the right to say that I miss Kolkata so very much, and this, I am writing, seated on the crowded ladies compartment of a local train from Kolkata, that is taking me to my 83 year old Uncle's house, about 100 kilometers away from Kolkata, and well connected by the local train network. I am not used to travelling in local trains, but here, I have no option, that is the only way that I can see the old man. And I don't regret it, despite the toil and effort I put in, its a memory in itself.
Kolkata was formerly called Calcutta, a name given by the British, is the capital of the eastern Indian state of West Bengal. It is the second largest city in India in terms of area after Mumbai. It is located on the bank of the River Hooghly. In terms of population, with more than 15 million people, it is the third-largest city in India after Mumbai and Delhi. It is world's 8th largest metropolitan area. The state of West Bengal is inhabited mainly by the Bengali linguistic group, and this language is the 7th most commonly spoken language in the world after Mandarin, English, Hindi, Spanish, Portuguese and Arabic. Kolkata has been the capital of India during the British Rule until 1911AD, when it was finally shifted to Delhi. Because of this, there are many imperial buildings to be seen here. It is said to be the literary and cultural capital of India, although, economically it has been in a stagnation stage for almost half a century now. However, of late, some developments have taken place and there seems to be light at the end of the tunnel. Kolkata has produced many eminent people, starting from many freedom fighters, most singers, poets and political leaders. It has been home to Nobel laureates Rabindranath Tagore, Mother Teresa and Amartya Sen and Legion de Honour awardee film maker Satyajit Ray.
- Pros:warmth of people
- Cons:traffic, pollution, congestion
- In a nutshell:City of Joy
Horse drawn carriages are still found in many touristy areas of Kolkata, especially the Chowringhee area, covering the... more travel advice
taxis are very common in Kolkata and relatively cheap to those in other cities. You pay Rs. 10 for every kilometer and I... more travel advice
Rupanworld's Related Pages
Kolkata (Calcutta) Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "KOLKATA- REVISITED."
- "Calcutta(Kolkata) - The Dream City"
- "Kolkata - Re-Visited"
- ""Kolkata~~City of Joy!""
- "The city that taught me to love"
- "Calcutta, city of contrasts"
- "Colonial Calcutta"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Kolkata (Calcutta)
- Hotels in Kolkata (Calcutta)
- Transportation in Kolkata (Calcutta)
- Nightlife in Kolkata (Calcutta)
- Restaurants in Kolkata (Calcutta)
- Shopping in Kolkata (Calcutta)
- Warnings and Dangers in Kolkata (Calcutta)
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Kolkata (Calcutta)
- 68 Reviews
- 22 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (18)
Have you been to Kolkata (Calcutta)?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Kolkata (Calcutta)
- Posted in Travel Forum "Re: Lahore to Ambala by train"
- Wrote a Review nice vegetarian sweets and snacks in Kolkata (Calcutta) Restaurants
- Commented on one of jrober37's Kolkata (Calcutta) travel pages
- Uploaded a Photo to "HISTORICAL: New Market"
- updated a Kolkata (Calcutta) Travel Page "The city that taught me to love"
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination India Intro, 119 reviews, 237 photos, 5 travelogues
- Delhi Intro, 104 reviews, 183 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lübeck Intro, 52 reviews, 204 photos, 5 travelogues
- Goa Intro, 74 reviews, 148 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ċrhus Intro, 49 reviews, 147 photos, 2 travelogues
- Barcelona Intro, 51 reviews, 122 photos
- Stockholm Intro, 49 reviews, 115 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Delhi Intro, 53 reviews, 99 photos
- Paris Intro, 41 reviews, 106 photos, 1 travelogue
- Bratislava Intro, 44 reviews, 91 photos