Delhi Off The Beaten Path Tips by Rupanworld
Delhi Off The Beaten Path: 89 reviews and 181 photos
Ever thought about having a haircut or shave at a streetside saloon? They are pretty cheap in India. A haircut for Rs. 15 (25 euro cents approx) and shave for the same amount I guess. I know some of my VT friends have given it a try and do recommend it :)
I guess this must not be an amazing thing for most of the tourists from the developed nations of the world, but it is unusual for India. Just in front of the Red Fort, on the main road, one can see the underground police station. Ever since the Red Fort has been given the status of a UNESCO World Heritage, it has been decided that all facilities will be made underground, including transport facilities and the police station (!) in the area around the Red Fort in order to ensure better visibily of the Fort and to help tourists take advantage of less congested area around. I found this really interesting.
How it looked like-courtesy: www.indianholiday.com
Begum Samru's palace is located in the Chandni Chowk area of Delhi. It was built in 1822 AD on 75 acres land in the area by a witty Kashmiri Muslim women who later married an English soldier and lived in the same palatial house. The building was then called the Dilkhusa Kothi and she was famous among the social circles for throwing lavish parties at her house. Today, the building is called the Bhagirath Palace and it houses North India's biggest electrical goods wholesale market. It was once one of the biggest and most beautiful houses of Delhi with huge columns and large rooms.
The Daryaganj area is one of the oldest areas in Delhi. One can see some old houses and buildings in this area.
More Reviews (100)
- See All Earliest settlement- INDRAPRASTHA
- See All Janpath Market
- See All Sher Mandal
- At Chandi Chowk
- Budget hotels
Rupanworld's Related Pages
Delhi Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Keeweechic's Delhi"
- "Capital city of India Delle"
- "Like the cats, this city had seven lives"
- "Shahjahanabad, as old as its history ...."
- See All...
- Things to Do in Delhi
- Hotels in Delhi
- Transportation in Delhi
- Nightlife in Delhi
- Restaurants in Delhi
- Shopping in Delhi
- Warnings and Dangers in Delhi
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Delhi
- 104 Reviews
- 183 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (15)
Have you been to Delhi?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Delhi
Photos in DelhiSee All Photos (183)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination India Intro, 119 reviews, 237 photos, 5 travelogues
- Delhi Intro, 104 reviews, 183 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lübeck Intro, 52 reviews, 204 photos, 5 travelogues
- Goa Intro, 74 reviews, 148 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Århus Intro, 49 reviews, 147 photos, 2 travelogues
- Barcelona Intro, 51 reviews, 122 photos
- Stockholm Intro, 49 reviews, 115 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Delhi Intro, 53 reviews, 99 photos
- Paris Intro, 41 reviews, 106 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bratislava Intro, 44 reviews, 91 photos
- Red Fort- 117 Reviews, 283 Photos
- Qutab Minar- 86 Reviews, 242 Photos
- Chandni Chowk- 35 Reviews, 86 Photos
- Humayun Tomb- 63 Reviews, 165 Photos
- Jami Masjid- 42 Reviews, 109 Photos
- Presidential Palace - Rashtrapati Bhawan- 12 Reviews, 28 Photos
- Purana Qila- 13 Reviews, 48 Photos
- India Gate- 39 Reviews, 71 Photos
- Raj Ghat- 24 Reviews, 41 Photos
- Lotus Temple- 19 Reviews, 32 Photos
See All Delhi Things to Do