"The Beautiful Guwahati" Gauhati by Rupanworld

Gauhati Travel Guide: 26 reviews and 100 photos

Although I have lived in Assam (Silchar) for a very important 17 years of my life, we were never much in touch with Guwahati except when we took a train to go to Kolkata. The train had to be taken from Guwahati and we came to Guwahati from Silchar by Night Super or Day super buses and boarded the train from there. So it was always a matter of half a day at the most and by the time we reached Guwahati, we were already too tired to explore the beauty of the city. However, in most of the cases, we generally took a flight to Kolkata, so that even putting our foot on Guwahati was a rare occasion.

My relationship with this beautiful (but disturbed because of insurgency sometimes) city began as I started my practice in Corporate law. I had many clients in this city and had to visit it often. I had no relatives here and had to put up in a private ladies hostel (hotels generally don't allow single women. sad but true!!!). The hostelmates I had were great friends and they helped me explore the city for the first time. It was with them, that I visited different parts of the city, went to a local wedding, did a lot of shopping, ate local food (but I don't recommend that except the momo). I visited it often, although, now I don't go there much as most of my clients are now based in Kolkata.

I have heard some people say that Guwahati women are beautiful. They indeed are, everyone of them. However, being a girl myself, I never had time to notice that much, but ofcourse, for any male traveller, that's an added attraction in this beautiful city. AND ALL MARRIED LADIES, PLEASE BE SURE YOU DON'T LEAVE YOUR HUSBANDS ON A SOLO TRIP TO THIS CITY. Or else, they sure will get lost in the beauty of the local ladies. Ha Ha Ha!!!

I have two very extreme memories of Guwahati. One, when I could not walk at all, another, when I could do nothing but walk, walk and walk more. OK that seems confusing. Let me explain. In January 2001, I was going to Silchar with my father from Kolkata and we chose the train route. That meant we took train from Kolkata to Guwahati and then Guwahati to Silchar by luxury bus. There was an interval of 7 hours between the two when we were to put up in a hotel. In the train itself, I discovered that I had chicken pox and by the time I landed up in Guwahati, I was too weak even to walk. I held my father's hand by both my hands and leterally hung from there. He had to pull me along upto the hotel. I was almost senseless. So that's when I could not walk. Two and a half years later, when I first visited the city for my clients, I was (told by somebody that walking helps you reduce a lot of weight, and I was desperate to lose weight) crazily walking everywhere. I visited all my clients offices, walked from my hostel. Sometimes it was 10 kilometers at a stretch and never less than 25 kilometers a day. I never got tiired, and my clients and hostelmates wondered as to how I could walk so much. THOSE DAYS ARE GONE!!! Please see pictures of assam here photos of Assam

• Pros:Beautiful natural sights, hills, temples and beautiful ladies
  • Cons:Disturbed because of insurgency
  • In a nutshell:If one is not afraid of exploring beauty despite problems, Guwahati is a MUST VISIT.
  • Last visit to Gauhati: Mar 2004
  • Intro Updated Sep 5, 2007

• hopang's Profile Photo
    Mar 26, 2009 at 3:25 AM

Lovely Gauhati page complete with outstanding photos! India has lots of beautiful tourist destinations and attractions. We love to visit India one day. ~ho & pang

• umashanker's Profile Photo
    Sep 5, 2007 at 7:32 AM

Very nice page indeed with much insight of city.

• mvtouring's Profile Photo
    Sep 4, 2007 at 3:28 AM

another interesting page I must put your country on my wish list ;-)

• BluBluBlu's Profile Photo
    Aug 12, 2007 at 8:39 PM

Nice informative tips! Greetings from Goa...not going to London on your trip? Blu

• goutammitra's Profile Photo
    Aug 8, 2007 at 3:45 AM

Excellent tips. Well I am the first one to visit your Gauhati page! Now your tips are more mature and carries lot of information. Keep it up.

Rupanworld Visits Here Frequently!

Rupanworld

“Memories are like footprints on the sands of time.”

Badges & Stats in Gauhati

Have you been to Gauhati?

Latest Activity in Gauhati