"Varanasi - the Land of Ghats and temples" Top 5 Page for this destination Varanasi by Rupanworld
Varanasi Travel Guide: 647 reviews and 1,505 photos
Famous author Mark Twain, in his account of the adventures around the world has written:
Its tall bluffs are solidly caked from water to summit, along a stretch of three miles, with a splendid jumble of massive and picturesque masonry, a bewildering and beautiful confusion of stone platforms, temples, stair flights, rich and stately palaces....soaring stairways, sculptured temples, majestic palaces, softening away into the distances;
and there is movement, motion, human life everywhere, and brilliantly costumed
- streaming in rainbows up and down the lofty stairways, and massed in metaphorical gardens on the mile of great platforms at the river's edge."
He further mentioned:
Count Keyserling, who left Europe shortly before World War I to journey around the world also was deeply impressed by the city and in his accounts of the city he wrote:
Varanasi is a holy Hindu city located on the bank of river Ganges (a holy river of the Hindus) in the state of Uttar Pradesh, in India. It is a city of temples, ghats (bathing places on bank of river), lots of old buildings, narrow dark zig zag lanes, hindu saints, old age homes, boats and overall is a sacred Hindu pilgrimage centre. It is as old as 3000 years and is one of the oldest cities in the world. Some of the existing buildings are as old as 500 years and are still upright with people dwelling happily in there. It is an embodiment of Hindu traditions, rituals and customs. The city has also been mentioned in the Hindu epics like The Mahabharata and The Ramayana which are itself said to be written thousands of years back. Sarnath, where Gautam Buddha came to visit around 500 BC, is at a distance of about 10 kms from the city and at the time, Varanasi was said to be already flourishing with trade.
Varanasi is also popularly called Kashi, the city of lights, in India. Being in Varanasi is an experience in a lifetime and is said to be an experience of self –discovery. The city is flocked with tourist all round the year and the roads are crowded all the time.
Varanasi also has a rich tradition of education, music, arts and crafts. It has produced many world famous exponents in these fields.
Silk Sarees weaved in Varanasi and embroidered in golden/silver thread is one of the best produces of Varanasi. These are prized possession of Indian women and each one of them has atleast one that she wore in her wedding. Sculptures in both stones and wood are also other good pieces for memoirs that the city offers. Sweets of the city are delicious.
At left, there is a photograph of the palace of Maharani of Bihar (Queen of Bihar). This palace presents a unique thing. One can see a very old hand drawn lift still inside the palace. Can be seen very much from the boat on the Ganges as well. This photograph was taken from a boat.
The bathing ghats are the most important tourist attraction in the city. There are 100 ghats. There are burning ghats (Used for burning dead bodies) also. The holy Hindu rituals for remembering the dead ancestors are performed on the ghats in various ways by various people. While some take bath in the holy water, some take a dip in the water, some others drink the water or make offering of water to the sun. Some even take the water in their pots to their homes.
And in the end, one cannot forget the 'Paans' (Betel leaves) and 'Paan Masala' (spicy, flavoured, fragrant and coated betelnuts) shops that exist in plenty in every lane.
- Pros: Very holy, peaceful and colourful place
- Cons: Dirty, narrow and dark lanes
- In a nutshell: Come to Varanasi and discover YOURSELF
While in Varanasi, a look at the richly embroidered silk sarees in the showrooms is a must. Consider a visit to one of... more travel advice
One of the many famous ghats at Varanasi is the Harishchandra Ghat named after King Harishchandra, known for his... more travel advice
- See All Nearby the Ganges
- See All Narrow dark alleys
- See All A boatride
- See All Best time to visit
- Good Vegetarian food
Rupanworld's Related Pages
Varanasi Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Kashi Banaras Benares Varanasi"
- "Varanasi - the Land of Ghats and temples"
- "Varanasi: Hindusthan's City of Light."
- "Keeweechic's Varanasi"
- "Varanasi - The City of Light"
- "Varanasi - Testament to Faith"
- "Wellcome to the holy city of Varanasi"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Varanasi
- Hotels in Varanasi
- Transportation in Varanasi
- Nightlife in Varanasi
- Restaurants in Varanasi
- Shopping in Varanasi
- Warnings and Dangers in Varanasi
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Varanasi
- 43 Reviews
- 33 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 17 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (15)
Have you been to Varanasi?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Varanasi
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination India Intro, 119 reviews, 237 photos, 5 travelogues
- Delhi Intro, 104 reviews, 183 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lübeck Intro, 52 reviews, 204 photos, 5 travelogues
- Goa Intro, 74 reviews, 148 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Århus Intro, 49 reviews, 147 photos, 2 travelogues
- Barcelona Intro, 51 reviews, 122 photos
- Stockholm Intro, 49 reviews, 115 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Delhi Intro, 53 reviews, 99 photos
- Paris Intro, 41 reviews, 106 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bratislava Intro, 44 reviews, 91 photos