"Herculaneum (Ercolano) Italy" Top 5 Page for this destination Herculaneum by ptcruiser70663
Herculaneum Travel Guide: 27 reviews and 66 photos
Only part of Herculaneum has been excavated because a modern town sits atop most of it.
The structures at left were the docks at the Bay of Naples. The far wall shows the layers of volcanic debris that built up on top of the ancient city. Archaeologists found a strange absence of human remains until they got to the docks. Nearly a hundred bodies were found at the vaults beneath the docks, indicating the people fled to the sea but were stranded there.
This frescoed chapel honored several gods and eventually a diefied Augustus Caesar.
- Pros:Compact and fascinating look at ancient Roman life.
- Cons:Negotiate, negotiate, negotiate with guides. Combine groups if possible for better rate.
- In a nutshell:Ancient Roman seaside resort without Pompeii's urban sprawl
Herculaneum Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The Ruins of the Roman Resort Town"
- "Ercolano / Herculaneum"
- "Herculaneum (Ercolano) Italy"
- "Herculaneum & Pompeii"
- "What a difference 40 years make"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Herculaneum
- Transportation in Herculaneum
- Restaurants in Herculaneum
- Warnings and Dangers in Herculaneum
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Herculaneum
- 1 Reviews
- 2 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (2)
Have you been to Herculaneum?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Herculaneum
Top PagesSee All Travel Pages (1)
No friends yet.