"My Home village -Rural" Kisumu by Squinchez

Kisumu Travel Guide: 17 reviews and 31 photos

Bondo, Sakwa

Live in the wild, live with the wild eat with the wild!

No, no thats not me, i was afraid i couldnt do it, thats my cousin with a python, lately named Obiero!

So this is my mum's Home village, you know my grandmother used to wonder where are our goats and chickens dispearing to everyday, first she accused our neighbour of being a thief, but it wasnt him then she blame it on Hyena's which pays us a visit sometimes at night, which was true but still there was a question mark! hyena's only attacked goats what a bout the chickens that disappeared in broad day light, espeacially when they are roaming in the shamba (farm yard).

We later came to realise that the big Ant hill on our farm yard wasn't actually an anthill but this Python's apartment! AaaaaH! that explains the skins that we sometimes found behind or front of the huts!....
Luckily when my grandmother came face to face with it, it had already had its dinner, a fat Goat!
Thats when it was captured , our Neighbour decided to keep it , removed its poison and named it obiero but after it started giving birth the wildlife service took over.

The village....

So now lets talk about this green place that was once occupied by Snakes, No wonder you could spot chinese here trying to capture them, infact they did a good job because the population of the snakes has greatly decreased and its safe for the villagers now to live here.

Its located in Nyanza province , Bondo district and the capital is Kisumu city,near Lake victoria. Kenyas 3rd largest cities.

Its my Mum's home village which i love so much more than my fathers home village. The entire district and province is predominated by Luo tribe whose staple food is Fish, and are known to be great fishermens.

Life here.......

No Electricity, not even water and you use firewood and lamps at night. Pit latrines are very much active here, but careful a snake doesnt bite your Ass..haha. No roads upto more than 5km to the main road, so better have a bike. .... if you want something from the shop. I will show you where we get not so cleanwater apart from trapped rain water in my things to do list.

by the way this hut used to be our kitchen, its the only hut left here, i see modernisation taking toll.

• Intro Updated Jul 23, 2007

• Oct 16, 2010 at 10:29 AM

Hi Squinchez,do you know Alex ,Pat,Florence and Carole Radul wholive,or used to,in Bondo.I knew them when I worked at Ramba Mine in 1991 and often wonder what became of them,and all the other staff who worked at Asembo Bay.Kind regards.Tony.

• Dec 11, 2008 at 3:14 PM

Hi there! It is a shame about that hyacinth in your picture though. I love the sides of Kisumu though. Always there when in Kenya

• SLLiew's Profile Photo
    Dec 5, 2007 at 8:43 AM

Must be fun to ride boda boda.

• muguruki's Profile Photo
    Oct 26, 2007 at 8:13 AM

Hi Khadija, I'll have to make a visit to Jaramogi's resting place next time I'm that side. I remember being in Nairobi on the morning his death was reported, I often wonder how much better Kenya would have been had he made it to become president.

• MarioPortugal's Profile Photo
    Aug 15, 2007 at 9:42 AM

Like your Tips. Please us know more about African tips. b/r. Mario

• croisbeauty's Profile Photo
    Jul 23, 2007 at 12:56 AM

thats a good page, tell us more make some more tips

Squinchez

“Explore the world around you.......”

Badges & Stats in Kisumu