"FROM MEXICO CITY TO YUCATAN" Mexico by B_Caro
Mexico Travel Guide: 20,837 reviews and 49,195 photos
In May 1998 I spent 2 weeks in Mexico. It was a complete organised cultural trip.
Our program for these two weeks was rather charged.
I started my visit in <b>Mexico City</b>. There we visited the Cathedral, The Museo Nacional de Antropología e Historia, Xochimilco,… and last but not least Teotihuacán.
Be careful in MC, some people of our group were the victim of a robbery.
For more info on Mexico City and Teotihuacán I refer to <a href='http:\\www.virtualtourist.com\b_caro\mexico city' target='_none'> <b>My Mexico City page</b></a>.
Our next destination was <b>Oaxaca</b>. From here we made trips to Monte Alban, Mitla, Yazul, villages with local craftshops.
After a thrilling night travel by bus we finally arrived in <b>Palenque</b>. We were almost the victims of a dangerous robbery. Some people (one, many? I don’t know) try to stop the bus by throwing stones from a bridge. Several windows were broken (one at the side of the chauffeur). Luckily we keep on riding.
In <b>Chiapas</b>, the military is all-over. When visiting Agua Azul & Yachilian, there were lots of army roadblocks. This was the situation back in 1998.
Friends of mine who made the same trip in October 1999 couldn’t even go to Yachilian because of too dangerous. In spite of this situation, Palenque and Yachilian are for me the most beautiful Mayan complexes.
After Chiapas we headed for <b>Yucatan</b> were we visited Merida, Campeche, Uxmal, Chichen Itza, some villages.
Our final stop was Cancun because we had to catch our plane there.
In my opinion Cancun is too touristic and artificial. The difference with the places we’ve visited (pyramids, ancient temples, Mayan villages, …) was too big.
Hope you enjoy reading this page & the travelogues
The temple complex of... Things to Do (9)
UXMAL The temple complex of Uxmal is a beautiful example of the Puuc style. Characteristic are the decorative adornments... more travel advice
The magic of the Mayans and the jungle: Visit Palenque, it is probably one of the most beautiful Mayan ruïns, located in... more travel advice
B_Caro's Related Pages
Mexico Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Mexican medley"
- "TIPS FOR TRAVELERS TO MEXICO"
- "LA MAGIA DE MEXICO"
- "Mexico for cultural explorers"
- "A week in Banderas Bay"
- "La Venta"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Mexico
- Hotels in Mexico
- Transportation in Mexico
- Nightlife in Mexico
- Restaurants in Mexico
- Shopping in Mexico
- Warnings and Dangers in Mexico
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Mexico
- 20 Reviews
- 86 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (4)
Have you been to Mexico?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Mexico
Top 10 Pages
- Peru Intro, 23 reviews, 181 photos, 14 travelogues
- Dublin Intro, 18 reviews, 98 photos, 8 travelogues
- Brussels Intro, 26 reviews, 68 photos, 10 travelogues
- Mexico Intro, 15 reviews, 65 photos, 5 travelogues
- Oostende Intro, 9 reviews, 69 photos, 8 travelogues
- Nepal Intro, 18 reviews, 53 photos, 8 travelogues
- India Intro, 22 reviews, 43 photos, 5 travelogues
- Zimbabwe Intro, 7 reviews, 58 photos, 10 travelogues
- La Paz Intro, 8 reviews, 56 photos, 7 travelogues
- Dover Intro, 21 reviews, 41 photos, 6 travelogues
FriendsSee All Friends (109)
Top Mexico hotels
- Cancún Hotels
- 1933 Reviews - 3724 Photos
- Playa del Carmen Hotels
- 780 Reviews - 1749 Photos
- Cabo San Lucas Hotels
- 717 Reviews - 1255 Photos
- Puerto Vallarta Hotels
- 1139 Reviews - 1986 Photos
- San José del Cabo Hotels
- 57 Reviews - 118 Photos
- Tulum Hotels
- 451 Reviews - 1321 Photos
- Mexico City Hotels
- 2111 Reviews - 4389 Photos
- Akumal Hotels
- 72 Reviews - 166 Photos
- Acapulco Hotels
- 365 Reviews - 692 Photos
- Mazatlán Hotels
- 468 Reviews - 777 Photos
- Puerto Aventuras Hotels
- 44 Reviews - 97 Photos
- Manzanillo Hotels
- 30 Reviews - 69 Photos
- Puerto Morelos Hotels
- 3 Reviews - 12 Photos
- Isla Cozumel Hotels
- 563 Reviews - 1416 Photos
- Tijuana Hotels
- 649 Reviews - 1044 Photos