"An Indo/Dutchman in LA :)" heryanta's Profile
I was having fun in Bangkok when opportunity came knocking on my door; work gave me the opportunity to move to LA and having grown up listening to the American dream I took it with open arms.
Working in El Segundo just South of LAX I have setup my base in Manhattan Beach. Well, LA needs no introduction does it? Weather is always nice, there's always things going on and it is home perhaps to the most laid-back people in the country :)
Wasn't ready to settle down at the age of 24 I asked my boss whether I could get a transfer to Asia - A few months later I found myself in the city the locals call "Krung Thep" - or City of Angels in Thai.
I love Bangkok. Of all the places I've been to in my life there are no other people on earth who are more peaceful and gracious than the Thai. Needless to say the weather is always good and the food is excellent!
Bangkok is so traditional on one hand, but it also has Westernized pockets that allow you to escape the Far East for a while if you need to. The fact that the infrastructure is advanced also helped.
If you ever get an opportunity to visit Thailand - be it for pleasure or work, treat yourself and pack up your bags!
At the age of 18 I jumped on a plane, leaving my parents' house behind and I never looked back. Over the next 6 years I fell in love with this city; its liberal, open-minded inhabitants; small streets; canals; small well-lit squares; its brownstone houses and 14th century buildings.
Amsterdam truly has something to offer to everyone. Whether you are looking for culture and arts; nightlife; historical landmarks; sports and outdoors; it has it all.
They say that 'home is where the heart is' and for me...home is Amsterdam.
Jakarta was home for me for so many years. I used to be so proud of this city. As the capital of Indonesia, Jakarta is one of Asia's world cities. Overly populated (it has 12 million people when I left in '98), noisy and hot; but at the same time it is also one of the most dynamic and fast-paced cities in the world.
Not so much to be seen here as a tourist, as Jakarta has been developed at lighting speed in the 90's to become the commercial center of the country. Rather, this is really the place to be if you would be an expat in Indonesia - as they say: this, is where the money is.
Top Travel Pages
Share your travels with the world!Join Now!
Badges & Stats
- 353 Reviews
- 399 Photos
- 11 Countries
- 22 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (3)
- Uploaded a Photo to "Calling all Oranje fans"
- heryanta and kiwi are now friends.
- Wrote a Review Blue Cheese Burger about Mon Ami Gabi in Las Vegas Restaurants
- Posted in Travel San Francisco Forum "Re: -=Resturant on Halloween=-"
- Commented on La_Holandesa's profile page
- created a Minneapolis Travel Page "The Friendly Midwest"
updated their Profile Page "An Indo/Dutchman in LA :)"
Top 10 Pages
- Amsterdam Intro, 63 reviews, 66 photos
- San Francisco Intro, 50 reviews, 57 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Manhattan Beach Intro, 34 reviews, 35 photos
- Los Angeles Intro, 29 reviews, 30 photos
- Bangkok Intro, 28 reviews, 29 photos
- New York City Intro, 28 reviews, 29 photos
- Singapore Intro, 28 reviews, 29 photos
- Las Vegas Intro, 16 reviews, 21 photos
- Chicago Intro, 12 reviews, 13 photos
- Barcelona Intro, 8 reviews, 12 photos
- Paris Hotels
- 22459 Reviews - 54964 Photos
- Dubai Hotels
- 2699 Reviews - 7919 Photos
- London Hotels
- 23314 Reviews - 48908 Photos
- New York City Hotels
- 15642 Reviews - 31276 Photos
- Manila Hotels
- 2025 Reviews - 4971 Photos
- Orlando Hotels
- 3092 Reviews - 5855 Photos
- Playa del Carmen Hotels
- 780 Reviews - 1749 Photos
- Punta Cana Hotels
- 422 Reviews - 1020 Photos
- Cancún Hotels
- 1933 Reviews - 3724 Photos
- Baguio Hotels
- 328 Reviews - 894 Photos
- Rome Hotels
- 12023 Reviews - 26760 Photos
- Goa Hotels
- 2058 Reviews - 3865 Photos
- Istanbul Hotels
- 7828 Reviews - 20233 Photos
- Bangkok Hotels
- 10315 Reviews - 22905 Photos
- Las Vegas Hotels
- 8419 Reviews - 17290 Photos