"Iúr Cinn Trá" johnjoe55's Profile
Hi, I'm John and I live in Newry, Ireland, in Irish Iúr Cinn Trá meaning "The Yew Tree at the Head of the Strand". The Newry area has a history of continuous settlement dating back to 4000BC.
The Town of Newry first started as a small settlement in the year 1144 around the Cistercian monastery which was founded by Maurice MacLoughlin, High King of Ireland. The market town built a port in the year 1742 and had the first canal in the British isles. It has a unique town hall built over the Clanyre River This is because one half is on the the County Down side and the other on the County Armagh side of the river.
Newry was made a city in 2002
The Egyptian Arch gained its name from its resemblance to the Pylon, or gateway to the ancient Egyptian Temples. The arch was designed by William Dargan, which was completed in 1851.
This bridge has been selected for the design of the new British One Pound coin to represent Northern Ireland for 2006.
The Craigmore Viaduct, known locally as the 18 Arches. It was designed by John Benjamin MacNeill, Construction began in 1849 and was finished in 1852.
The bridge consists of 18 arches that span a 60 ft valley, with the highest arch being 126ft above the valley, this makes the 18 Arches the highest viaduct in Ireland. being a quarter of a mile long and constructed from granite blocks from the nearby quarry at Goraghwood.
This Russian Cannon Gun Trophy, is a 19th century cannon which was one of the guns captured during the Crimean War and was awarded to the town in recognition of the men from Newry who volunteered to fight in the war. Note, on the barrel of the gun, the crest of the Russian Eagle
This granite monument was erected in honour of local man Terrence 'Banjo' Bannon, who, on June 1 2003, became the first man from Northern Ireland to conquer Mount Everest.
The Newry Cathedral was built by local architect Thomas Duff in 1825 and finished 1829 from the local granite and cost of £8,000.
It was the first Catholic Cathedral opened in Ireland after the granting of Catholic Emancipation.
Top Travel Pages
Explore the World
Share your travels with the world!Join Now!
Badges & Stats
- 28 Reviews
- 138 Photos
- 7 Countries
- 8 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (2)
- Posted in Travel Prague Forum "Re: Shall i trust?"
- Commented on WStat's profile page
- johnjoe55 and Davefrost are now friends.
updated their Profile Page "Iúr Cinn Trá"
- Wrote a Review Airport Bus about By Bus in Bratislava Transportation
- Uploaded a Photo to "Airport Bus"
- updated a Cesky Krumlov Travel Page "Cesky Krumlov"
- Uploaded a Video to World
VideosSee All Videos (4)
Top 10 Pages
- South Africa 28 photos
- Czech Republic Intro, 17 photos
- Cape Town Intro, 7 reviews, 10 photos
- Germany 14 photos
- Prague Intro, 6 reviews, 6 photos
- Berlin Intro, 5 reviews, 7 photos
- Budapest Intro, 2 reviews, 10 photos
- Krakow Intro, 2 reviews, 9 photos
- Newry Intro, 2 reviews, 9 photos
- Warsaw Intro, 3 reviews, 6 photos
- Paris Hotels
- 22488 Reviews - 55061 Photos
- Fort Lauderdale Hotels
- 659 Reviews - 1389 Photos
- Dubai Hotels
- 2702 Reviews - 7927 Photos
- London Hotels
- 23330 Reviews - 48936 Photos
- New York City Hotels
- 15643 Reviews - 31276 Photos
- Manila Hotels
- 2029 Reviews - 4971 Photos
- Baguio Hotels
- 328 Reviews - 894 Photos
- Cancún Hotels
- 1933 Reviews - 3724 Photos
- Orlando Hotels
- 3099 Reviews - 5883 Photos
- Punta Cana Hotels
- 422 Reviews - 1020 Photos
- Playa del Carmen Hotels
- 781 Reviews - 1749 Photos
- Goa Hotels
- 2059 Reviews - 3877 Photos
- Bangkok Hotels
- 10315 Reviews - 22906 Photos
- Rome Hotels
- 12024 Reviews - 26769 Photos
- Istanbul Hotels
- 7829 Reviews - 20234 Photos