"Varenna, Lake Como's finest" Top 5 Page for this destination Varenna by slcook52
Varenna Travel Guide: 55 reviews and 244 photos
The town of Varenna is so picturesque, sitting on a point jutting out into Lake Como. The buildings and houses are beautifully colored in shades of red, yellow, coral, and salmon. It has a nice little harbor with good ferry service to the other mid lake towns, and a cute little old town center around a Piazza San Giorgio connected to the harbor by the Passerella (a lakeside promenade). There are no streets in the old town, just what they call contrade, or characteristic stepped lanes. The population is only about 800, the town is small and easily walked, though there are some steep alleys.
Getting to Varenna from Milan was easy. There are frequent trains, the trip taking only an hour. Heading towards Varenna, the scenic side of the train will be the left. Be ready to get off quickly at the station, the train doesn't stop for long. There is one main street running down towards town from the train station. At the first cross street (where the Hotel Baretta is on your right), if you turn left and follow the street up the hill you will reach the center of town. If you continue straight toward the lake, you will be at the harbor. From there you can follow along the lake path and find your way to the town center via several of the very narrow streets up hills.
You can hike up to Castello di Vezio, high on the hill above the town, with good views, about 20 minutes one way. There are two Villas and gardens, Villa Cipressi and Villa Monastero, both an easy walk just beyond the main town square. Very pretty lakeside settings.
- Pros:small, quiet, picturesque, easy to get to from Milan
- Cons:maybe not enough night life if that's what you want
- In a nutshell:beautiful spot to base your Lake Como Vacation
Not necessarily off the beaten path, but a fun days outing anyway. I booked a day trip thru the local Varenna travel... more travel advice
Once having taken the train to Varenna (see main page), you can walk around the town itself from one end to the other.... more travel advice
slcook52's Related Pages
Varenna Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Very pretty...."
- "Varenna - Lakeside village with charm"
- "An idyllic little town on Lago di Como"
- "Varenna, Lake Como's finest"
- "Varenna - Diamond of the Lake"
- "Lakeside Location"
- "Varenna - Lake little masterpiece"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Varenna
- Hotels in Varenna
- Transportation in Varenna
- Restaurants in Varenna
- Warnings and Dangers in Varenna
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Varenna
- 5 Reviews
- 15 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (4)
Have you been to Varenna?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Varenna
- Venice Intro, 7 reviews, 32 photos, 1 travelogue
- Castelrotto Intro, 7 reviews, 18 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Varenna Intro, 5 reviews, 15 photos
- Milan Intro, 6 reviews, 10 photos
No friends yet.