"Pristina - The Little Big City" Pristina by mtcowgirl
Pristina Travel Guide: 290 reviews and 482 photos
I've been living and working in Kosovo for the past six years (2001-2007) and probably will remain until 2008 depending on politics.
Over this time, I've seen a lot of changes in Kosovo, many for the good. When I first arrived for a visit in August 2000 we never knew when the water or power was going to be on, there was piles of burning garbage in the streets, and packs of wild dogs roamed the streets. Pristina today is a clean city compared to what it once was!
In Pristina, you can find a myraid of international restaurants, black-market CD shops, cafe bars galore, and children begging on the streets.
Kosovo isn't really a typical tourist destination but there is history and nice scenery to be found outside the capital city of Pristina. I think that Kosovo could eventually build a small tourism industry if the local population would stop destroying each other's historical sites.
The political situation in Kosovo is not stable at the current time due to the debate on resolving the final status: independence or autonomy. Because the decision on status is being delayed month by month, tensions are running high and there is a great chance of demonstrations...in fact there is one scheduled for 30 June by the Self-Determination Group...a group whose protests usually turn violent.
There is an increased risk of being in the wrong place at the wrong time. Large demonstrations can be expected as well as some civil unrest. In the past month a few tourists have suffered mishaps, one was seriously beaten for unknown reasons.
Should any civil unrest occur, tourists would likely be stuck in Kosovo because the airport is located approximately a 25-minute drive from the city center and through key areas. Borders would also probably be inaccessible so it really is best to wait until the political situation is settled.
It is expected that unless there is a significant change in the weather (which has been fairly hot & dry the past week) Kosovo will experience a severe water shortage starting in September 2007. Unless water resevoirs are filled by heavy (HEAVY) rains over the summer, emergency rationing will go into effect with only hospitals and emergency services being supplied with water.
The power plant is also cooled by water so there may be an adverse effect on the power supply when the water runs out. Already the power can be sporatic with unexpected power outages lasting minutes to hours. The supply the past few months has been fairly regular with few outages but you really never know when it will be on!
- Pros:Ottoman Mosques, Ancient Monasteries
- Cons:Unstable Political Situation, Pollution
- In a nutshell:Ancient History and Hatred
Kosovo is a great place to go off-roading in a 4-wheel drive. Mines around Pristina have pretty much all been cleared so... more travel advice
Built in the 16th century, the Gracania monastery is the closest and best preserved Orthodox church to Pristina. The... more travel advice
- See All Good Location & Nice Rooms
- See All Serbian Entry Stamp
- See All Huge Portions, Little Prices
- See All Sidewalk Shopping
- See All Pristina's Popular Club
mtcowgirl's Related Pages
Pristina Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Not your normal tourist spot ..."
- "It's No Las Vegas"
- "Prishtina 2008"
- "My Dear Pristine Town - Prishtina"
- "Another sort of tourism"
- "Pristina - The Little Big City"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Pristina
- Hotels in Pristina
- Transportation in Pristina
- Nightlife in Pristina
- Restaurants in Pristina
- Shopping in Pristina
- Warnings and Dangers in Pristina
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Pristina
- 38 Reviews
- 46 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (2)
Have you been to Pristina?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Pristina
- Posted in Travel Sharm El Sheikh Forum "Re: Try Dive"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Driving in Kosovo - Always an Adventure!"
- created a Pristina Travelogue "Driving in Kosovo - Always an Adventure!"
- Wrote a Review Good Location & Nice Rooms in Pristina Hotels
- Commented on one of DPando's Pristina travel pages
Photos in PristinaSee All Photos (46)
Top 5 Pages
- Pristina Intro, 38 reviews, 46 photos, 1 travelogue
- Sharm El Sheikh Intro, 26 reviews, 18 photos, 1 travelogue
- Bangkok Intro, 10 reviews, 28 photos, 1 travelogue
- Ban Ao Nang Intro, 8 reviews, 14 photos, 1 travelogue
- Katerini Intro, 16 reviews, 4 photos
No friends yet.