"State of Uttaranchal/Uttarakhand" Top 5 Page for this destination State of Uttar Pradesh by mantru
State of Uttar Pradesh Travel Guide: 2,535 reviews and 7,623 photos
Uttarakhand Uttar + Akhand i.e. North + Undivided or Integrated/United North),is a state located in the northern part of India. It was known as Uttaranchal between 2000 and 2006, Uttarakhand became the 27th state of the Republic of India on November 9, 2000.
Uttarakhand borders Tibet to the north, Nepal to the east, and the states of Himachal Pradesh and Uttar Pradesh (of which it formed a part before 2000) in the west and south respectively. The region is traditionally referred to as Uttarakhand in Hindu scriptures and old literature, a term which derives from the Sanskrit for Northern Country or Section.
The provisional capital of Uttarakhand is Dehradun which is also a rail-head and the largest city in the region. The small hamlet of Gairsen has been mooted as the future capital owing to its geographic centrality but controversies and lack of resources have led Dehradun to remain provisional capital. The High Court of the state is in Nainital.
Uttarakhand is also well known as the birthplace of the Chipko environmental movement,and a myriad other social movements including the mass agitation in the 1990s that led to its formation.
Uttarakhand has a total geographic area of 51,125 km², of which 93% is mountainous and 64% is covered by forest. Most of the northern parts of the state are part of Greater Himalaya ranges, covered by the high Himalayan peaks and glaciers, while the lower foothills were densely forested till denuded by the British log merchants and later, after independence, by forest contractors.
Indian National Parks in Uttarakhand include the Jim Corbett National Park (the oldest national park of India) at Ramnagar in Nainital District, Valley of Flowers National Park and Nanda Devi National Park in Chamoli District, Rajaji National Park in Haridwar District, and Govind Pashu Vihar National Park and Gangotri National Park in Uttarkashi District
There are 13 districts in Uttarakhand which are grouped into two divisions. Garhwal division includes Chamoli, Dehradun, Haridwar, Pauri Garhwal (commonly known as Garhwal), Rudraprayag, Tehri Garhwal and Uttarkashi whereas Kumaon division includes Almora, Bageshwar, Champawat, Nainital, Pithoragarh, Udham Singh Nagar.
To Uttarakhand, long called "abode of the gods" (Devbhumi), belong some of the holiest Hindu shrines, and for more than a thousand years, pilgrims have been visiting the region in the hopes of salvation and purification from sin. Gangotri and Yamunotri, the sources of both the Ganges and Yamuna fall in the upper reaches of the state and together with Badrinath (dedicated to Vishnu) and Kedarnath (dedicated to Shiva) form the Chardham of Uttarakhand, one of Hinduism most spiritually auspicious pilgrimage circuits. Rishikesh near Haridwar is known as the preeminent yoga centre of India while the spectacular view from Hemkund is of special significance to Sikhs. In addition, the state has an abundance of temples and shrines, many dedicated to local deities or manifestations of Shiva and Durga, references to many of which can be found in Hindu scriptures and legends. The architecture of most of these temples is typical of the region and slightly different from other parts of India, the ancient temples at Jageshwar being the most prominent for their distinct architectural features. Tibetan Buddhism has also made itself felt with the recent reconstruction of Mindroling Monastery and its Buddha Stupa, touted as the world's highest, southwest of Dehradun.
3 km from Mana village, the Vasudhara falls, 125 m high, against the backdrop of snow covered mountains and glaciers is... more travel advice
The lake is fed by the glaciers and is very beautiful.The total silence enhances the beauty of the place. more travel advice
mantru's Related Pages
State of Uttar Pradesh Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "State of Uttaranchal/Uttarakhand"
- "Society & Culture of Uttar Pradesh"
- "searching for alfie (the big striped orange cat)"
- "Uttar Pradesh the land of Taj the land of Kumbh"
- "by car through Uttar Pradesh"
- See All...
- Things to Do in State of Uttar Pradesh
- Hotels in State of Uttar Pradesh
- Transportation in State of Uttar Pradesh
- Nightlife in State of Uttar Pradesh
- Restaurants in State of Uttar Pradesh
- Shopping in State of Uttar Pradesh
- Warnings and Dangers in State of Uttar Pradesh
- See All...
Badges & Stats in State of Uttar Pradesh
- 48 Reviews
- 156 Photos
- 7 Forum posts
- 3 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (11)
Have you been to State of Uttar Pradesh?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in State of Uttar Pradesh
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Sikkim Intro, 32 reviews, 128 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Darjeeling Intro, 47 reviews, 82 photos, 2 travelogues
- Jodhpur Intro, 21 reviews, 84 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Himachal Pradesh Intro, 18 reviews, 86 photos, 2 travelogues
- Jaisalmer Intro, 21 reviews, 78 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Leh Intro, 19 reviews, 62 photos, 3 travelogues
- New Delhi Intro, 14 reviews, 61 photos, 2 travelogues
- Varanasi Intro, 20 reviews, 50 photos, 1 travelogue
- State of Kerala Intro, 20 reviews, 43 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Uttar Pradesh Intro, 13 reviews, 49 photos, 1 travelogue