"Switzerland of the east-North Sikkim" Top 5 Page for this destination State of Sikkim by mantru
State of Sikkim Travel Guide: 185 reviews and 901 photos
Trip to gurudongmar started on 17 th oct....was worth visiting this lake...the most beautiful of the three lakes visited...Chhangu,in sikkim,Pangong Tso in Laddakh and this one the ultimate lake.
Gurudongmar Lake is one of the highest lakes in the world located at an altitude of 17,100 feet (5,148 m). It lies on the North side of the Khangchengyao Range in a high plateau area contiguous to the Tibetan Plateau. The stream emerging from the lake is one of the source-streams of the Tista River.
The lake is named after Guru Padmasambhava, who is also known as Guru Dongmar. It is located close to the Indo-China Border in the province of North Sikkim, Sikkim, India.
The lake remains completely frozen in the winter months from November to Mid-May except for one small part of the lake which is supposed to be touched and blessed by the Guru Padmasambhava.
The lake is highly revered by the Sikkimese and Buddhists and the waters are supposed to have curative properties. The Indian Army got into a conflict with the Sikkim Government when they erected a gurdwara (a Sikh temple) near the lake in the 1990s : the gurdwara has now become a 'Sarva Dharma Sthal'(House of worship for All Religions), and ruffled feathers have been smoothened.
Gurudongmar Lake is located at an altitude of 17,800 feet and 190 Kms from Gangtok. It is on the Northern side of the Khangchengyao Range in a high plateau area contiguous to the Tibetan Plateau. The stream emerging from the lake is one of the source-streams of the Tista River. The lake is considered one of the most sacred lakes by the Bhuddhist and Hindus, and remains milky throughout the year. The lake is named after Guru Padmasambhava - is said to have brought Tantric Buddhism to Tibet in the 8th century). According to a legend, since the lake used to remain frozen most of the year, it was not possible to use it's water for drinking purposes, When the Guru Padmasambhava passed by, while returning from Tibet, the local residents are reported to have approached him for providing source of water. The Guru obliged, a portion of the lake touched by him does not freeze in the extreme winter. Since water of the lake is considered sacred, visitors carry the "holy" water in the bottles. Due to the extremely inhospitable surrounding terrain and the difficulties associated with reaching the place, the lake sees only a handful of visitors each year.
At 24 kms from Lachung lies Yumthang, the rightfully called the Valley of Flowers as in Flowering season there blossoms vivid colours of variety of Rhododendrons, chimals and blue poppies. Yumthang is located on a flat valley and is near the tree line, the surrounding mountains seems to kiss the heavens. The journey from Lachung to Yumthang has a very picturesque landscape and is lined with Rhododendrons & 108 other types of Orchids which bloom in different colours from April to May. "Come as a visitor for a life-time experience." April and May promises colourful flowers, where as November end to March usually sees snows. Simple village folks spread scarcely admit the virgin landscapes is a food forever. Another peculiar feature of the valley is that, the valley totally covered with snow during the winter. Hence, while you see the flower bed in summer, you see snow bed in the winter.
A natural hotspring is another attraction of the tourist who are said to have had relief of their skin ailment after having bath there. The visit is on the passing of Shingba Rhododendron Sanctuary.
Yumthang valley is a mesmerizing scene with yaks grazing on flower - carpeted meadows against a backdrop of towering peaks. It has breathtaking views where one can become a part of a timeless scene without any kind of intrusion.
mantru's Related Pages
State of Sikkim Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Visit to Nathu La ( Pass) Indo- Chinese Border!"
- "Sikkim, tropical Tibet"
- "Switzerland of the east-North Sikkim"
- "The Sikkim Trip"
- "Sikkim - my shangrila"
- "HeaVen on the Earth"
- "State of Sikkim"
- See All...
- Things to Do in State of Sikkim
- Hotels in State of Sikkim
- Transportation in State of Sikkim
- Nightlife in State of Sikkim
- Restaurants in State of Sikkim
- Shopping in State of Sikkim
- Warnings and Dangers in State of Sikkim
- See All...
Badges & Stats in State of Sikkim
- 34 Reviews
- 141 Photos
- 9 Forum posts
- 1 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (11)
Have you been to State of Sikkim?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in State of Sikkim
- Wrote a Review hotel stay in State of Sikkim Hotels
- Uploaded a Photo to "Gochela trek april 25-May 1"
- updated a State of Sikkim Travelogue "Gochela trek april 25-May 1"
- Commented on one of goutammitra's State of Sikkim travel pages
- Posted in Travel State of Sikkim Forum "Re: Need guidance for Sikkim..."
Photos in State of SikkimSee All Photos (141)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Sikkim Intro, 32 reviews, 128 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Darjeeling Intro, 47 reviews, 82 photos, 2 travelogues
- Jodhpur Intro, 21 reviews, 84 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Himachal Pradesh Intro, 18 reviews, 86 photos, 2 travelogues
- Jaisalmer Intro, 21 reviews, 78 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Leh Intro, 19 reviews, 62 photos, 3 travelogues
- New Delhi Intro, 14 reviews, 61 photos, 2 travelogues
- Varanasi Intro, 20 reviews, 50 photos, 1 travelogue
- State of Kerala Intro, 20 reviews, 43 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Uttar Pradesh Intro, 13 reviews, 49 photos, 1 travelogue