"Ajmer-" Ajmer by mantru
Ajmer Travel Guide: 44 reviews and 99 photos
Ajmer situated in the green oasis wrapped in the barren hills has been a witness to an interesting past. The city was founded by Raja Ajay Pal Chauhan in the 7th Century A.D. and continued to be a major center of the Chauhan power till 1193 A.D. when Prithviraj Chauhan lost it to Mohammed Ghauri.since then, Ajmer became home to many dynasties, which came and left leaving behind indelible marks of their culture and traditions on the city’s history, converting it to an amalgam of various cultures and blend of Hinduism and Islam.
Today, Ajmer is a popular pilgrimage center for the Hindus as well as Muslims. Especially famous is the Dargah Sharif-tomb of the Sufi saint Khwaja Moinuddin Chisti,which is equally revered by the Hindus and Muslims.
Ajmer is also the base for visiting Pushkar(11 km.),the abode of Lord Brahma,lying to its west with a temple and a picturesque lake.The Pushkar lake is a sacred spot for Hindus. During the month of Kartik(Oct./Nov.),devotes throng in large numbers here to take a dip in the sacred lake.
Ajmer the city where the Dargah of the Great Sufi Saint Khwaja Moinuddin Chishti stands, is a sacred centre of... more travel advice
mantru's Related Pages
Ajmer Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Ajmer: the city of the holiest Muslim shrine"
- "love towards all malice towards none - Garib Nawaz"
- "Pilgrimage city of the Dargah of Moinuddin Chishti"
- "Ajmer - the holy Muslim Pilgrimage Town"
- "Restaurants Ajmer"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Ajmer
- Hotels in Ajmer
- Transportation in Ajmer
- Shopping in Ajmer
- Warnings and Dangers in Ajmer
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Ajmer
- 4 Reviews
- 11 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (11)
Have you been to Ajmer?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Ajmer
Photos in AjmerSee All Photos (11)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Sikkim Intro, 32 reviews, 128 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Darjeeling Intro, 47 reviews, 82 photos, 2 travelogues
- Jodhpur Intro, 21 reviews, 84 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Himachal Pradesh Intro, 18 reviews, 86 photos, 2 travelogues
- Jaisalmer Intro, 21 reviews, 78 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Leh Intro, 19 reviews, 62 photos, 3 travelogues
- New Delhi Intro, 14 reviews, 61 photos, 2 travelogues
- Varanasi Intro, 20 reviews, 50 photos, 1 travelogue
- State of Kerala Intro, 20 reviews, 43 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Uttar Pradesh Intro, 13 reviews, 49 photos, 1 travelogue