"darjeeling-queen of hills" Top 5 Page for this destination Darjeeling by mantru
Darjeeling Travel Guide: 180 reviews and 571 photos
Its the queen of the hills and my hometown so its the most beautiful place for me.....though it is crowded its nice to spend your holidays lazying around.......
Darjeeling produces the famous darjeeling teas,one of the worlds finest.......we people dont get to see the fimest teas in india(ha ha).It is also home to himalayan railway ,a world heritage site.You can try trekking,and rafting as well....alittle info on darjeeling......
The name "Darjeeling" is a combination of the Tibetan words Dorje ("thunderbolt") and ling ("place"), translating to "The land of the thunderbolt." During the British Raj in India, Darjeeling's temperate climate led to its development as a hill station (hill town) for British residents to escape the heat of the plains during the summers.
Darjeeling is internationally famous for its tea industry and the Darjeeling Himalayan Railway, a UNESCO World Heritage Site. The tea plantations date back to the mid 19th century as part of a British development of the area. The tea growers of the area developed distinctive hybrids of black tea and fermenting techniques, with many blends considered among the world's finest. The Darjeeling Himalayan Railway connecting the town with the plains was declared a World Heritage Site in 1999 and is one of the few steam engines still in service in India.
Darjeeling has several British-style public schools, which attract students from many parts of India and neighbouring countries
This is my village as it is in the slope you can see the number of houses increasing day by day..............but luckly we still see clear blue sky...which i miss alot while in delhi..........
I guess this fruit is typically of the hills..its called rukh tamatar rukh means tree tamatar of course is tomato.......its delicious.......how i used to steal it when i was a kid and my grandfather would chase me for picking the fruit still unripe...ha ha those days were so good.............
You can experience the way people travelled long time ago from NJP to darjeeling in the steam engine .The slow paced... more travel advice
The church is near gymkhana club...so if you stroll along the mall road you'll see it next to LOreto college. more travel advice
Written Aug 16, 2007
Come home to me...
Written Aug 26, 2007
The Mighty Kunchenjunga
mantru's Related Pages
Darjeeling Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "darjeeling-queen of hills"
- "West Bengal's own Hill station !!!!"
- "Toy Train, Tiger Hill & Darjeeling Tea! What Else!"
- "Darjeeling, tea and a lot more....."
- "The Unmatched Queen of Hill Stations"
- "A Little Piece of Heaven in India"
- "Tea Gardens and Good people!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Darjeeling
- Hotels in Darjeeling
- Transportation in Darjeeling
- Nightlife in Darjeeling
- Restaurants in Darjeeling
- Shopping in Darjeeling
- Warnings and Dangers in Darjeeling
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Darjeeling
- 47 Reviews
- 82 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 10 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (12)
Have you been to Darjeeling?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Darjeeling
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Sikkim Intro, 32 reviews, 128 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Darjeeling Intro, 47 reviews, 82 photos, 2 travelogues
- Jodhpur Intro, 21 reviews, 84 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Himachal Pradesh Intro, 18 reviews, 86 photos, 2 travelogues
- Jaisalmer Intro, 21 reviews, 78 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Leh Intro, 19 reviews, 62 photos, 3 travelogues
- New Delhi Intro, 14 reviews, 61 photos, 2 travelogues
- Varanasi Intro, 20 reviews, 50 photos, 1 travelogue
- State of Kerala Intro, 20 reviews, 43 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Uttar Pradesh Intro, 13 reviews, 49 photos, 1 travelogue