"Katra-Vaishnao Devi" Katra by mantru

Katra Travel Guide: 33 reviews and 60 photos

The holy trail

The Yatra (yatra, which means a pilgrimage, a journey or a procession) as its called by devotees to the shrine of Vaishnao devi in Katra,State of Jammu in india is famous for devotees hiking 12 kilometers uphill and down is considered very holy as all their wishes will come true once you do this pilgrimage.

Shri Maa Vaishno Devi Shrine is one of the oldest shrine of India, located at a height of 5300 feet on the holy Trikuta Hills of the Shivalik Hill Range. The Holy cave is 13 Kms from the Base Camp Katra. The Town Katra is 50 Kms away from Jammu and 35 Kms from District HQ Udhampur and is linked by road. The Mata Vaishno Devi Shrine is one of the most popular Shrines of India.
It is said one cannot visit the shrine until and unless the Goddess calls for us, I have seen these instances in my life,I had an urge to visit the shrine when I was in my intermediate school however due to unavoidable circumstances i could not visit as planned.However after 11 years finally i visited the shrine, same with my brother however i visited three times the last one is the one in the photographs.I guess it might be faith though i did not ask for any wishes life has been treating me good after these visits.

indian spirituality

Indian Spiritual tradition has propounded four Purusharth (objectives) of a human life. These being Dharm (Righteousness), Arth (Material Pursuits), Kaam (Contentment) and Moksh (Enlightenment). Shri Mata Vaishno Devi is believed to grant all the four boons to those who visit Her Holy Shrine. She is considered to fulfill anything and everything that a person wishes for in life, in a righteous way. It is an experience of all, that no one goes empty handed from Her Great Pilgrimage.

The journey to the Holy Shrine of Mata Vaishno Devi is thus an enchanting journey of the places where Mata Vaishnavi had spent some time while observing various spiritual disciplines and penances. The culmination of this journey is at the Holy Cave where She merged Her Human form with the astral form of Her creators, the three Supreme Energies

read my travelogue for the details of the yatra.You get to experience the night walk ..its really interesting to walk through the night till the moon gives way to the sun....

Finally we have reached the top however still alot to walk to reach the shrine at the background.

• Intro Updated Aug 12, 2007

• goutammitra's Profile Photo
    Aug 25, 2007 at 3:50 AM

Mantru! Great page. We had been to Vaishno Devi 4 times and got our daughter Aparajita with her blessings. We have always stayed at JK tourism hotel, never had any problem. Next time you or any body visit kindly get in touch with me. Jai Mata Di!

• ladagspa's Profile Photo
    Aug 15, 2007 at 10:57 PM

Jai Mata di!!! Reminded college days when we used to go on bike to Katra to visit the Holy shrine. And then Jai Mata di ringing in your head for days... very well written and comprehensive, with details like danger of landslide, walnut quality, etc...

• umashanker's Profile Photo
    Aug 9, 2007 at 9:58 PM

Jai Mata di! Well written page.

mantru

“? I travel not to go anywhere, but to go"”

Badges & Stats in Katra