"sacred prostitutes" Top 5 Page for this destination Erice by domenicococozza
Erice Travel Guide: 26 reviews and 105 photos
Erice is one of thos places you spend hours driving to, only to find there's not much there. The climb is up a narrow mountain road with incredible views back down into the valley and beyond to the ocean. In Roman times, there was a temple in Erice that was ministered to by sacred prostitutes(or so the story goes). At the top of this massive rock is the old Norman cathedral. Erected in 1314 there is a striking bell tower with gothic windows. When we were there, it was closed to the public, so we just drove back down the mountain
- Pros:very peaceful
- Cons:long drive
The Castle de Venere sits atop Mount San Giuliano. It dates from the 12th century and was built to ward of Norman... more travel advice
domenicococozza's Related Pages
Erice Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Erice, medieval town on a hill"
- "Erice - Città della Scienza"
- "sacred prostitutes"
- "A Medieval Splendor"
- "Erice - The home of Science"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Erice
- Hotels in Erice
- Transportation in Erice
- Restaurants in Erice
- Shopping in Erice
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Erice
- 3 Reviews
- 5 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (45)
Have you been to Erice?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Erice
Top 10 Pages
- Venice Intro, 30 reviews, 55 photos
- London Intro, 16 reviews, 43 photos
- Rome Intro, 19 reviews, 36 photos
- Madonna di Campiglio Intro, 11 reviews, 23 photos
- Marco Island Intro, 7 reviews, 17 photos
- Palermo Intro, 6 reviews, 14 photos
- Monaco Intro, 6 reviews, 11 photos
- Cortina d'Ampezzo Intro, 6 reviews, 10 photos
- Villa Latina Intro, 3 reviews, 13 photos
- Sperlonga Intro, 4 reviews, 11 photos