"Gulf Town-San Jacinto State Park" La Porte by msbrandysue

La Porte Travel Guide: 23 reviews and 75 photos

Why Did I Come?

I came to La Porte to visit the San Jacinto State Park with my friend Shanna. I don't work during the summer and thought it would be a treat to trace the history of Texas independence. After visiting the Alamo 6 months ago I thought how meaningful it would be to see the site of the victory after such defeat.

Here you can see more of the markers, monument, museum, and the Battleship.

La Porte is in the southeast part of Houston.
It's near Kemah, Texas City and Galveston. If you have the time to see the beach! It's about an hour south.

My Favorite Part

I think my favorite part of the journey was driving around to all the historical markers and seeing where Santa Anna's camp was, where Houston was injured and where we made the advance upon the Mexican army.

Surprise Attraction

While Shanna was looking around the cemetary (not really my thing) I had a seat on the benches under a huge oak tree, facing the port and had a very nice time just watching the gigantic ships go by. I wish I had had my book with me. I think that's one of my favorite things to do: fine the serene in the history that took place hundreds of years ago.

• Pros:Battleship Texas, Texas Monument
  • Cons:air smells bad
  • In a nutshell:Experience Texas History for Yourself!
  • Last visit to La Porte: Jun 2008
  • Intro Updated Dec 28, 2008

• Yaqui's Profile Photo
    Dec 19, 2009 at 6:48 PM

La Porte looks absolutely delightful. You know, sometimes being able to just sit and enjoy all the little things you see is so relaxing. I LOVE that mural on the water tank, awesome! Nice page!

msbrandysue

“God made Texas on his day off...for pure entertainment. Mary Lasswell”

Badges & Stats in La Porte

Have you been to La Porte?

Latest Activity in La Porte