"Gulf Town-San Jacinto State Park" La Porte by msbrandysue
La Porte Travel Guide: 23 reviews and 75 photos
I came to La Porte to visit the San Jacinto State Park with my friend Shanna. I don't work during the summer and thought it would be a treat to trace the history of Texas independence. After visiting the Alamo 6 months ago I thought how meaningful it would be to see the site of the victory after such defeat.
Here you can see more of the markers, monument, museum, and the Battleship.
La Porte is in the southeast part of Houston.
It's near Kemah, Texas City and Galveston. If you have the time to see the beach! It's about an hour south.
I think my favorite part of the journey was driving around to all the historical markers and seeing where Santa Anna's camp was, where Houston was injured and where we made the advance upon the Mexican army.
While Shanna was looking around the cemetary (not really my thing) I had a seat on the benches under a huge oak tree, facing the port and had a very nice time just watching the gigantic ships go by. I wish I had had my book with me. I think that's one of my favorite things to do: fine the serene in the history that took place hundreds of years ago.
- Pros:Battleship Texas, Texas Monument
- Cons:air smells bad
- In a nutshell:Experience Texas History for Yourself!
Kemah Boardwalk is about an hour from Houston (including traffic). It is a miniature version, however, so if you are... more travel advice
msbrandysue's Related Pages
La Porte Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Cruising from the Port of Houston"
- "Gulf Town-San Jacinto State Park"
- "Keeweechic's La Porte"
- "delcity's new La Porte Page"
- "Vibroverb's La Porte"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in La Porte
- 3 Reviews
- 50 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (16)
Have you been to La Porte?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in La Porte
Photos in La PorteSee All Photos (50)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Houston Intro, 54 reviews, 209 photos, 7 travelogues
- San Antonio Intro, 37 reviews, 192 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Galveston Intro, 46 reviews, 168 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Fredericksburg Intro, 23 reviews, 162 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dallas Intro, 42 reviews, 135 photos, 2 travelogues
- Alexandria Intro, 22 reviews, 148 photos, 10 travelogues
- Las Vegas Intro, 40 reviews, 128 photos, 5 travelogues
- Austin Intro, 31 reviews, 121 photos, 5 travelogues
- Spring Intro, 33 reviews, 100 photos
- Jacksonville Intro, 15 reviews, 117 photos, 8 travelogues