"Cape Fear Coast Line" Top 5 Page for this destination Wilmington by msbrandysue

Wilmington Travel Guide: 231 reviews and 402 photos

Why Did I Come??

Wilmington was definitely not what I imagined...The travel book I was reading had this one picture and it turned out completely different.

The truth is...I snuck away here when my family visited my brother in Jacksonville. It's about an hour away from there. I saw it in my 1000 Places to See Before You Die USA. I enjoyed the city but was not able to stay very long as the family tried to come and it was not a good decision. We started the trip going on the Battleship North Carolina so everyone was tired when we actually got to the city.

Looking back on my trip I really enjoy the small aspect of it all. Most of the sites are within walking distance (though plenty of walking is needed). I hope to go back this summer on my way to Connecticut!

My Favorite Part

My favorite part has to be the old houses and ALL the history around them. Almost all of the houses in the downtown square have some sort of significance and some sign posted. It's almost hard to do everything in a weekend. You hardly know where to look and meanwhile you're probably stepping on something that George Washington's nanny's granddaughter touched! ;)

Surprise Attraction

I walked along the riverwalk boulevard area and was not impressed but right off of the river is a cute area with lots of shop that is sort of like the main street of the downtown area. It has the horses and carriage that you can tour with, funky coffee shops, etc. It's just a nice area to people watch or get a quick snack or some water on a warm day.

• Pros:Historical houses, quirky shops, art
  • Cons:Wear comfy shoes!
  • Last visit to Wilmington: Dec 2008
  • Intro Updated Feb 5, 2009

• starship's Profile Photo
    Jun 22, 2010 at 3:39 PM

Nice page! I really had no idea there was so much to see & do here and the history is a real plus!

• Yaqui's Profile Photo
    Sep 10, 2009 at 10:35 AM

Brandy, you did an excellent job in illustrating all the fabulous places to see here! Good show!

msbrandysue

“God made Texas on his day off...for pure entertainment. Mary Lasswell”

Badges & Stats in Wilmington

Have you been to Wilmington?

Latest Activity in Wilmington