"Marrakech Express" Marrakesh by clouds111

Marrakesh Travel Guide: 2,241 reviews and 6,187 photos

I've been looking forward to visiting Marrakech for some years now. Crosby, Stills and Nash paint a beautiful picture of it in their song 'Marrakech Express'. Of course I knew that this bustling city would have changed considerably from the swinging, hedonistic days of the 60s and 70s, but I was quite disappointed that it didn't live up to my expectations.

Yes the square was entertaining, with its fire eaters, snake charmers and story tellers; the souqs were eveything I imagined they would be - a maze of narrow alleys, alluring smells and colours. But I found it very hard to relax in Marrakech, constantly on edge and waiting for the next tout or jumping out of the way of the speeding mo-peds. The only places I found I could chill was the beautiful gardens around the city, the calm of our riad or the roof terrace cafes high above the craziness of the medina. And despite all the madness and all the goings on in Djemaa el-Fna I found that there wasn't much 'atmosphere' which was a shame.

The cuisine also was a little disappointing and food is a big part of what makes a good trip for us. My experiance of Morroccan food in London has always been a good one so of course you would expect even better in Morrocco but it was surprisingly bland. The majority of the time we steered clear of touristy restaurants and favoured the 'street eats' which have always served us well in other countries, but even here the food was just OK.

I hate to talk badly about any places I've been to, they've all been so different and on reflection looking back at our cool photos I did enjoy my stay there, just wish I'd appreciated it more at the time. I don't think it's a place that will suit everyone and if you're looking for a relaxing weekend break than I don't believe this is the place for you. Maybe I approached it in the wrong way, maybe I wasn't in the right frame of mind, maybe I wasn't ready for Marrakech rather than Marrakech not being ready for me.

• Last visit to Marrakesh: Feb 2008
  • Intro Updated Mar 14, 2008

• kia81's Profile Photo
    Jun 24, 2008 at 2:11 AM

Interesting tips!

• Jun 24, 2008 at 1:58 AM

I empathise with your comments about Marrakech. I came to the conclusion it was somewhere everyone should go to - once. I'm not sure I want to go back, at least not for a long time. The Riads are little oases of sanity in a totally chaotic place.

• hunterV's Profile Photo
    Mar 7, 2008 at 9:29 AM

Hello, Anna! I'm glad you enjoyed your trip there!

clouds111

“Life is one big journey”

Badges & Stats in Marrakesh

Have you been to Marrakesh?

Latest Activity in Marrakesh