"GlobeTrekr" GlobeTrekr's Profile

Ernesto, Diana, and Tenoch Álvarez

This is the family. My wife Diana and our Boston Terrier Tenoch.

We grew up in Hemet/San Jacinto,CA but have been living in West Los Angeles ever since UCLA brought us out west. I love life in Los Angeles but Diana is more of a country girl so I got Tenoch for her. Not a complete solution but having the little guy around is lots of fun. She doesn't care much for the hussle and bussle of LA and wishes it wasn't so crowded, don't we all. We all hate the traffic here and have to plan everything around it. As crazy as the City of Angels is, I love it! The Los Angeles metropolitan area is made up of different people, languages, cultures, customs, backgrounds, and cuisines. Los Angeles is the epitome of a diverse, melting pot.

I guess I can say a bit more about ourselves for any of you that are interested. Currently I work at UCLA, my alma mater, doing neuroscience research at the UCLA School of Medicine. I've been doing that for about 4 years now. I found a more profound passion in linguistics, albeit I love science, and after our travels I'm pondering the notion of appyling to grad school for linguistics. Diana received her B.S. from UCLA in mathematics and has always loved children. She's been a nanny for the past four years to high end clientele, the famous hollywood type. There aren't many nannies out there who have a university degree, not just some college, and extensive experience. Diana's mother ran her own child day care for over 10 years in which she helped out on a daily basis after school. She has unbelievable patience with children and they're naturally drawn to her. With that said, it puts me at ease to know that my wife has so much experience caring for children so when we have our own. Don't get me wrong, I will strive to be the best father I can be and look forward to raising our kids together.

For now we're just continuing to work and saving our cash to head out on our round the world trip. We have a general itinerary as to where we would like to go but will just play it by ear so that we have the option to go wherever and stay as long as we'd like. The master plan is to be gone for about 10 months of which at least 6 we hope to be nothing but travel. From Southeast Asia to India to the Middle East to North Africa to Europe to South America to Cuba and conclude in México. Unfortunately, Tenoch will remain in California with family since he does not qualify for a passport even though he is a US citizen!!!

Round The World...February 10, 2009

El Plan: Recorrer 40,000 kilometros en diez meses
El Método: Improvisación
El Dicho: California quedará atrás, atrás también quedará la perra vida
Ante nosotros extiende todo el mundo con sus brazos abiertos

This is the date we will finally set forth on this long awaited trip heading west, chasing the sun, minimalizing jetlag. This is no ordinary trip, for us it will be a journey, a life altering experience that perhaps few will understand. My father believes we'll need 100k dollars, my mother wonders why we wish to travel for so long, and my mother-in-law bought us a new set of luggage not realizing the concept of budget, backpacking travel. They ask why? To visit places we've only seen on TV and read about. To breathe that country's air, vagabond across its lands, meet and interact with its inhabitants, and certainly eat the food. To see how others live a happy, stress-free life without the comforts we have here. Better said by Che's character in Diarios de Motocicleta, (who also gets partial credit for my opening lines), "viajamos por viajar" - 'we travel to travel'.

There is no looking back or turning back, all we have are one way tickets from Los Angeles to Beijing. Diana and I have been planning this trip for years and now that we are months away, I've come to a palpable realization; that we will soon be walking on the Great Wall of China, board the Reunification Express in Vietnam, wander amidst the ruins of Angkor in Cambodia, eat Thai food on Thai beaches, experience Shah Jahan's love in Agra, gaze at the Great Pyramid of Giza, walk down the narrow Siq at Petra, pray at the Western Wall in Jerusalem, watch the sunset over Santorini in the Greek Isles, andremo in Italia e vorrei parlare l'italiano che avevo imparato all'università ma sicuramente visiteremo Roma, la Toscana e tutto il paese, (basically practice my Italian and travel the country), dream of a yacht invitation in Monaco, sample tapas throughout Ethpaña, smoke freely in Amsterdam, wear a speedo in Brazil, reminisce about Italia in Buenos Aires, drink vino to a Pablo Neruda open mic night in Chile, hike the Inca Trail from Cuzco to Machu Picchu, flush a toilet in Ecuador, elude the FARC in Colombia, listen to Angel Falls in Venezuela, puff on a Habana wearing a Habanera in La Habana, and finally.......touchdown in México!

Our travelling vision doesn't end there. We plan to visit as much of Europe as possible. Unfortunately with the collapse of the American dollar and it being worth crap against the Euro, I think we're going to have to limit Europe. Reason being because we would love to visit South America and Cuba before settling down to live in Cotija, Michoacán, México for a few months. Why Cotija? Life is peaceful and the ambiance is tranquil, so calm that it can actually get boring. I'll be reliving my childhood there at my father's house right down to not having to worry about living expenses, just our food and excursions. Diana's family is only about a two hour drive away in Navajas, Jalisco, México and of course we plan on visiting places in central México where we've never been before. Diana hasn't had the opportunity to visit with her family as much as she'd like and we look forward to her reconnecting with them. I of course am looking forward to the food! Carnitas, tripas, tostadas, uchepos, mariscos, and of course tacos. On a serious note, we both want to experience living life outside the USA. Get away from the hectic rat race in the states where many have to work to live, not live to work, and never truly enjoy life.

All good things must come to an end, and if all goes well, ours will come to an end in mid December 2009. Then what? Back to California to start a family, but then again who knows. With so many countries to choose from, we just might stay abroad, start a family, and keep on GlobeTrekking! I will remain optimistic that this long awaited trip will only be the beginning of a life full of exciting and exotic travels for Diana, Ernesto and the future of our Álvarez family.

THROUGH

ALL

THE

YEARS

We are BRUINS!

Our Alma Mater: University of California, Los Angeles (UCLA)

We do respect the crosstown rival, however, they are the
University of Second Choice!

No need to get upset, its all one love here on VT and we welcome VTers who are sc alumni.

My mother and father at our wedding in Rosarito, Baja California, México.

A Mis Padres:

La vida es vacía sin el amor de una madre
Incompleta sin la disciplina de un padre
No encuentro donde empezar
Las palabras se escapan al comenzar a hablar

Si les he causado algunas tribulaciones
Ante Dios les pido mil perdones
Espero ser buen padre a mis hijos que no han nacido
Enseñarles la moralidad que me dieron y la fe que he tenido

No estaría aquí sin el amor, apoyo y amistad de mis padres
Todo mi éxito será compartido por darles
Yo soy tu sangre mi viejo
Y a los dos siempre en mi corazón los llevo

Ernesto Álvarez

• Intro Updated Apr 1, 2009

• kathymof's Profile Photo
    Oct 29, 2013 at 10:34 AM

Have a wonderful birthday - many happy wishes
    --Kathy

• Odinnthor's Profile Photo
    Oct 29, 2012 at 9:13 AM

Here it is again, and no Ernesto. We are worried about you compadre. Anyway, another birthday my friend. Have a good day today, and please come back and let us kno that you and yours are OK.

• DaHongHua's Profile Photo
    Oct 29, 2012 at 1:25 AM

Nice to meet you in today's birthday list but you have not login for quite some time ?!. Anyway, a warm happy birthday greeting from Malaysia. Cheers. Hope you remember your password and comeback.

• Odinnthor's Profile Photo
    Oct 28, 2011 at 6:37 PM

Hi Ernesto! Where the heck have you been my brother?? Missed you around here. Just a note to wish you the happiest of Birthdays compadre. Make it a memorable one.........Cheers......d:o)...Erik

• BorderHopper's Profile Photo
    Aug 6, 2011 at 12:12 AM

Hey guys! It seems like its been a very long time since we last communicated...hope you good & well travelled (of course). We just got back from Havana, Cuba.as a family of 5! Hapy travels!

• Phalaenopsis03's Profile Photo
    Oct 30, 2010 at 6:06 PM

Hey Ernesto, Happy Belated Birthday! Didn't realize you worked at UCLA's Neurosci. You probably know my best friend, Nini (VT member ognini). She was the academic counselor there a few years ago. Anyway, Go #1 Bruins!

• marielexoteria's Profile Photo
    Oct 29, 2010 at 3:39 AM

Don Ernesto, que tengas un feliz cumpleaños y un muy buen fin de semana con tu familia y tus amigos :) Abrazos desde el Polo Norte.

• pieter_jan_v's Profile Photo
    Oct 28, 2010 at 9:57 PM

Happy Birthday wishes from the Netherlands. PJ

• Donna_in_India's Profile Photo
    Oct 28, 2010 at 5:54 PM

Happy, happy birthday Ernesto! Hope you have a great day.

• Dabs's Profile Photo
    Oct 24, 2010 at 5:27 PM

I'll be out of town and out of touch for you birthday so I'll wish you a very happy birthday a few days in advance :-)

Share your travels with the world!

Join Now!
GlobeTrekr's Profile Photo

GlobeTrekr

“Travelling=Life Experience...So Get Going!!”

Real Name