"Winterthur" Top 5 Page for this destination Winterthur by Vanity666
Winterthur Travel Guide: 55 reviews and 75 photos
Winterthur is a city in the canton of Zurich in northern Switzerland. It has an estimated population of more than 100'000 and is the sixth largest in Switzerland. In the local dialect and by its inhabitants, it is usually abbreviated to Winti. Today Winterthur is a service and high tech industry centre, but many people make use of its proximity to Zurich, which is only 18 minutes by train.
Winterthur is connected to Germany and Italy by direct trains and enjoys excellent links to Zurich Airport. It is also a regional transportation hub: the A1 motorway from Geneva through to St. Margrethen connects in Winterthur with the A4 motorway heading north toward Schaffhausen and the A7 motorway heading close to the Swiss-German border at Kreuzlingen.
During Roman times the city was known as Vitudurum. The counts of Kyburg founded the city in 1175. The charter included extensive privileges for the town. In 1264 the Habsburg family inherited Winterthur. They sold it to the city of Zurich in 1467.
The town is renowned for its institute of higher education Technikum, which is the largest school of technology in Switzerland. The institute has recently teamed up with schools from Zurich and is now known as Zürcher Hochschule für Angewandte Wissenschaften (ZHAW).
When I began building my Winterthur page, I realized there are just a few traveling tips here already. Why is that, I do not know. Anyway, I tried to put some of the most important tips and photos here, sadly I came there on Sunday morning so many facilities were closed. I'll just have to return there for a more detailed exploring someday, and I'm looking forward to that.
I couldn't find out what this bronze statue represents, but by the look of its hat I assumed it is a witch. Anyone have... more travel advice
I was told these wells were once used for drinking water, and since the houses were wooden, so the firemen could get to... more travel advice
Vanity666's Related Pages
Winterthur Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Coming soon"
- "The Rheinfalls Schafhausen"
- "This is one lovely city :D"
- "A Winterthur Guide"
- "Winterthur - Rock City"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Winterthur
- Hotels in Winterthur
- Transportation in Winterthur
- Nightlife in Winterthur
- Restaurants in Winterthur
- Shopping in Winterthur
- Warnings and Dangers in Winterthur
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Winterthur
- 15 Reviews
- 26 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (11)
Have you been to Winterthur?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Winterthur
Photos in WinterthurSee All Photos (26)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Skopje Intro, 28 reviews, 90 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Zadar Intro, 28 reviews, 89 photos
- Bucharest Intro, 35 reviews, 75 photos
- Warsaw Intro, 27 reviews, 68 photos
- Marija Bistrica Intro, 21 reviews, 67 photos
- Lago di Garda Intro, 18 reviews, 69 photos
- Vienna Intro, 20 reviews, 59 photos
- Nin Intro, 17 reviews, 60 photos
- Ohrid Intro, 15 reviews, 52 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mainau Intro, 15 reviews, 46 photos