"Râşnov" Rasnov by Vanity666
Rasnov Travel Guide: 39 reviews and 153 photos
Râşnov is a town in Braşov County, Romania with a population of under 16,000.
It is located at about 15 km from the city of Braşov and about the same distance from Bran, on the road that links Wallachia and Transylvania.
Its name is derived from Slavic "žrŭnovy", meaning (village or valley) "of the mill". In 14th century, German documents used the name Rasnov, but the modern German name, Rosenau, is based on a popular etymology, being influenced by the German word "Rose".
In Râşnov a citadel was built around the year 1215 by the Teutonic Knights and it was mentioned for the first time in 1331. The citadel was conquered only once in its history, around the year 1600 by Gabriel Báthory.
There is a myth attached to Râşnov Fortress. During a particularly long siege of the fortress, the citizens of Râşnov were concerned about the lack of available fresh drinking water. Two Turkish soldiers, having been captured earlier, were put to the task of digging a well in the centre of the fortress. These two men were assured that they would be given their freedom once the well was completed. According to local legend, it took them 17 years to finish the well, but they were still killed afterwards. This famous well still sits in the centre of Râşnov Fortress, and is 143 metres deep.
From the fortress is a great view on the surrounding woods and city more travel advice
There is a myth attached to Râşnov Fortress. During a particularly long siege of the fortress, the citizens of... more travel advice
Vanity666's Related Pages
Rasnov Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "RASNOV / ROSENAU - most complex peasant fortress"
- "Welcome to Rasnov (Rosenau)"
- "Now THIS is Transylvania"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Rasnov
- Transportation in Rasnov
- Warnings and Dangers in Rasnov
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Rasnov
- 7 Reviews
- 15 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (10)
Have you been to Rasnov?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Rasnov
Photos in RasnovSee All Photos (15)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Skopje Intro, 28 reviews, 90 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Zadar Intro, 28 reviews, 89 photos
- Bucharest Intro, 35 reviews, 75 photos
- Warsaw Intro, 27 reviews, 68 photos
- Marija Bistrica Intro, 21 reviews, 67 photos
- Lago di Garda Intro, 18 reviews, 69 photos
- Vienna Intro, 20 reviews, 59 photos
- Nin Intro, 17 reviews, 60 photos
- Ohrid Intro, 15 reviews, 52 photos
- Vinnitsa Intro, 16 reviews, 45 photos