"Resen" Resen by Vanity666
Resen Travel Guide: 16 reviews and 48 photos
Resen is a town in southwestern Macedonia, with roughly 9,000 inhabitants. Resen is approximately equidistant between Bitola and Ohrid. The town rises 880 meters above sea level and is situated near Lake Prespa. Resen is also the only town in the Prespa Lake area and is the seat of Resen Municipality.
The ancient Illyrian city of Damastion may be near Resen. Resen's history dates back to Roman times when the famous road Via Ignacia was built, passing through the city.
During the Middle Ages, the Prespa area was part of the Bulgarian empire under Samuil. After the Battle of Klyuch, some of Samuil's soldiers, who were each blinded in one eye, settled in a village on the shore of Lake Prespa. The Byzantines called the village Asamati. The Byzantine meaning of this word is "settlement of one-eyed people". From then on, Resen was under Byzantine rule.
Later, Resen became part of the Ottoman Empire, and it was the birth place of Ahmed Nyazi Bey, a Turk noble who was one of the initiators and leaders of the Young Turk Revolution which began in 1908.
Vanity666's Related Pages
Resen Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Resne (or Resen)"
- "From Loara valley to Prespa"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Resen
- Hotels in Resen
- Transportation in Resen
- Nightlife in Resen
- Shopping in Resen
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Resen
- 1 Reviews
- 3 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (10)
Have you been to Resen?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Resen
Photos in ResenSee All Photos (3)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Skopje Intro, 28 reviews, 90 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Zadar Intro, 28 reviews, 89 photos
- Bucharest Intro, 35 reviews, 75 photos
- Warsaw Intro, 27 reviews, 68 photos
- Marija Bistrica Intro, 21 reviews, 67 photos
- Lago di Garda Intro, 18 reviews, 69 photos
- Vienna Intro, 20 reviews, 59 photos
- Nin Intro, 17 reviews, 60 photos
- Ohrid Intro, 15 reviews, 52 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mainau Intro, 15 reviews, 46 photos