"Skopje" Top 5 Page for this destination Skopje by Vanity666

Skopje Travel Guide: 806 reviews and 2,069 photos

Info about the city

Skopje is the capital and largest city in the Republic of Macedonia, with more than a quarter of the population of the country, as well as the political, cultural, economical and academic centre of the country. It was known from the Roman period under the name Scupi. The city developed rapidly after World War II, but this trend was interrupted in 1963 when it was hit by a disastrous earthquake. Today Skopje is a modern city with a range of cultural monuments.

Skopje is located on the upper course of the Vardar River and is located on a major north-south Balkan route between Central Europe and Athens. It is a major centre for the metal-processing, chemical, timber, textile, leather, and printing industries but has suffered many closures since 1991. Industrial development of the city has been accompanied by developments of the trade and banking sectors, as well as an emphasis on the fields of culture and sport.

Skopje 2007 update

I was in Skopje again in August 2007 for 4 days. I was leading our young folklore group to the International Children’s Folklore Festival “Oro Bez Granici” in Skopje. So, I was mostly busy arranging anything for the group so had little time to explore the city. But, I did explore small part.

This is a picture of our group with their hosts.

Yet another visit in 2009 - update 2010

Luckily we have made good connections with folklore groups from Skopje, so we often get invited to the folklore festivals in Skopje.

My last visit was in October 2009, and this time I had some free time to finally get a closer view of the city. It was raining almost all of my time there, but I didn't mind.

I'm planning another visit this summer, to spend a day or two on our way down to Ohrid lake, and to finally visit Millenium cross on Vodno mountain.

In 2010, I finally managed to climb Vodno mountain. However, I missed Lake Matka, so now I have another reason to visit it again.

• Last visit to Skopje: Aug 2010
  • Intro Updated Jan 17, 2011

• Raimix's Profile Photo
    Apr 23, 2011 at 11:44 AM

Great page! Loved that writting about taxis, really great drivers they are :) Hope someday to visit Balkan countries ;)

• yumyum's Profile Photo
    Jan 21, 2011 at 7:18 AM

Great page with very useful tips for our visit this year on the way to Euromeet! Like the hostel tip and the "socialist" restaurant.

• HORSCHECK's Profile Photo
    Jan 16, 2011 at 5:18 AM

Marko, fabulous updates here. I will probably visit Skopje in May. So your tips are more than helpful for planning the trip.

• iwys's Profile Photo
    Dec 31, 2008 at 3:55 PM

Great page. I loved that song, 'Goin down to Skopje.'

Vanity666 Visits Here Frequently!

Vanity666

“Everywhere's just a journey away....”

Badges & Stats in Skopje