"Zalaegerszeg" Zalaegerszeg by Vanity666
Zalaegerszeg Travel Guide: 6 reviews and 11 photos
The area was already inhabited in the Upper Paleolithic, according to archaeological findings (the oldest ones in Zala county.) Later the area has been inhabited by Celts.
The town itself was first mentioned in 1247 as Egerscug and in 1293 as Egerszeg. (szeg means angle in Hungarian, and probably refers to the fact that the town was built where two rivers met.) King Béla IV donated it to the diocese of Veszprém in 1266, thus Egerszeg became church property. Since Egerszeg lay somewhat far from Veszprém, the taxes the town paid often ended up in the pockets of local oligarchs like the Kőszegi family.
In the 14th century Egerszeg was the largest town of the area. Between 1368 and 1389 it was a royal town for a short time, then Sigismund I donated it to the Kanizsai family who traded it for another town with the bishop of Veszprém. Zalaegerszeg remained their property until 1848.
I was there for a short time, we were on a folklore festival so I had little time for taking photos....
Vanity666's Related Pages
Zalaegerszeg Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Eszter's Zalaegerszeg Page"
- "Passing through..."
- "The chief town of Zala county"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Zalaegerszeg
- 0 Reviews
- 3 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (11)
Have you been to Zalaegerszeg?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Zalaegerszeg
Photos in ZalaegerszegSee All Photos (3)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Skopje Intro, 28 reviews, 90 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Zadar Intro, 28 reviews, 89 photos
- Bucharest Intro, 35 reviews, 75 photos
- Warsaw Intro, 27 reviews, 68 photos
- Marija Bistrica Intro, 21 reviews, 67 photos
- Lago di Garda Intro, 18 reviews, 69 photos
- Vienna Intro, 20 reviews, 59 photos
- Nin Intro, 17 reviews, 60 photos
- Ohrid Intro, 15 reviews, 52 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mainau Intro, 15 reviews, 46 photos