"Trakoscan" Trakoscan by Vanity666
Trakoscan Travel Guide: 20 reviews and 123 photos
Trakoscan is small town about 30km from Varaždin. It is located in the NW part of the Croatian Zagorje, between Macelj, Ravna Gora and Strahinščica.
Trakošćan was built in the late 13th century as part of the defense fortification network of the Zagorje principality. It was a small fortress serving as an observation post overlooking the road from Ptuj towards the Bednja valley. In the first few centuries of its existence, Trakošćan and the surrounding area were ruled by an unknown patrician family. The first known owners of Trakošćan were the Celjski family, who also ruled over the entire Zagorje principality, as well as Međimurje, Varaždin and large estates in the present-day Slovenia. When the family died out, Trakošćan shared the fate of their other estates and towns, passing from one owner to another and breaking up into ever smaller estates and holdings. The entire Trakošćan estate, with its fortress and the market town Kamenica, first passed into the possession of Jan Vitovec and then it was taken over by Ivaniš Korvin who presented it to his deputy Ban (Vice-Roy) Ivan Gyulay. This family held Trakošćan for three generations. When its last member died in 1566, the estate was taken over by the Royal Treasury. The king granted the estate to Cardinal and Croatian Ban Juraj Drašković for his personal use and as hereditary property. Thus, in 1584 the Drašković family gained possession of Trakošćan. They remained its hereditary owners, with one brief interruption, until World War II.
Trakošćan lake is perfect place to relax, take a walk, or simply sit on a bench and enjoy the nature.... I wouldn't... more travel advice
Vanity666's Related Pages
Trakoscan Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Trakoscan Castle VT meet"
- "Trakoscan- oaze of peace"
- "Trakošćan castle"
- "enjoy the castle, the museum and the nature"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Trakoscan
- Hotels in Trakoscan
- Restaurants in Trakoscan
- Warnings and Dangers in Trakoscan
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Trakoscan
- 2 Reviews
- 10 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (11)
Have you been to Trakoscan?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Trakoscan
Photos in TrakoscanSee All Photos (10)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Skopje Intro, 28 reviews, 90 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Zadar Intro, 28 reviews, 89 photos
- Bucharest Intro, 35 reviews, 75 photos
- Warsaw Intro, 27 reviews, 68 photos
- Marija Bistrica Intro, 21 reviews, 67 photos
- Lago di Garda Intro, 18 reviews, 69 photos
- Vienna Intro, 20 reviews, 59 photos
- Nin Intro, 17 reviews, 60 photos
- Ohrid Intro, 15 reviews, 52 photos
- Vinnitsa Intro, 16 reviews, 45 photos