"Basaic Fossil Butte Page" Fossil Butte National Monument by Basaic
Fossil Butte National Monument Travel Guide: 1 reviews and 5 photos
Fossil Butte definitely paints a vastly different picture of this area than what you see today. Today you see a flat open desert with just a bit of squat bushes dotting the landscape. Some 50 million years ago, however, this was a sub-tropical lake supporting hundreds of thousands of fish and other animals of many different species. These animals provide the fossils that give the park its name and that provide clues to the climate, plants and animals in the area's past.
There are a number of very interesting and well-presented displays in the visitors' center to teach you about the past in this part of Wyoming.
There are some nice hiking trails too, so you can get a closer look at the areas where the fossils were found and the terrain here today.
Basaic's Related Pages
Fossil Butte National Monument Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Basaic Fossil Butte Page"
- Create a Fossil Butte National Monument Travel Page
Badges & Stats in Fossil Butte National Monument
- 1 Reviews
- 5 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (176)
Have you been to Fossil Butte National Monument?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Fossil Butte National Monument
Photos in Fossil Butte National MonumentSee All Photos (5)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Arizona Intro, 223 reviews, 553 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination United States of America Intro, 183 reviews, 381 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tucson Intro, 110 reviews, 327 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Mexico Intro, 91 reviews, 259 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Texas Intro, 116 reviews, 216 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Joshua Tree National Park Intro, 81 reviews, 190 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination California Intro, 68 reviews, 183 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cuyahoga Valley National Recreation Area Intro, 72 reviews, 169 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chiricahua National Monument Intro, 62 reviews, 164 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Great Smoky Mountains National Park Intro, 60 reviews, 148 photos