"Basaic Canyonlands National Park Page" Top 5 Page for this destination Canyonlands National Park by Basaic
Canyonlands National Park Travel Guide: 203 reviews and 476 photos
Canyonlands National Park is located in East Central Utah near Arches National Park and the town of Moab. It is just south of Interstate 70. Canyonlands has different sections depending on what you want to do, what type of transportation you have and how much time you have to spend here.
The main part is probably the Island in the Sky Section. It is a broad mesa between the Green and Colorado Rivers. There is a nice road with several turnouts with different views here that give you a great overview of the park.
If you have a high clearance 4 wheel drive vehicle you may want to tackle the most remote portion of the park; the Maze. The Maze is a 30 square mile area of sandstone cliffs, dead-end canyons and amazing rock formations. This is also where you will find a huge life-size pictographic mural around 2000 years old.
The third section is called "Needles" after the sharp rock formations in the area. There is a paved road into the section, then you can take off on dirt roads or hiking trails.
I had limited time so I just went to the Island in the Sky. I hope to return and explore more someday soon.
This is the view from one of the many viewpoints along the Island in the Sky. The areas are remote and look much as they did a thousand years ago.
There are a wide variety of interesting rock formations in the park. This is Mesa Arch. It is reached by a short, relatively easy trail and is one of the most photographed places in the park.
The Whale Rock Trail is moderate 1 mile long with a 100 foot elevation gain. The trail begins as a sandy trail then... more travel advice
Murphy Trail is a relatively easy, relatively flat 1.8 mile hike to a nice overlook. Good walking shoes, water,... more travel advice
Basaic's Related Pages
Canyonlands National Park Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Land of the Canyons"
- "Kimberlyann's Canyonlands National Park, Utah"
- "Basaic Canyonlands National Park Page"
- "Large Park Spread Over Miles"
- "Canyonlands, Island in the Sky District"
- "The Watermelon Settlement: Canyonlands"
- "Canyonlands - Remote, Tough, and Beautiful"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Canyonlands National Park
- Hotels in Canyonlands National Park
- Transportation in Canyonlands National Park
- Restaurants in Canyonlands National Park
- Shopping in Canyonlands National Park
- Warnings and Dangers in Canyonlands National Park
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Canyonlands National Park
- 30 Reviews
- 58 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (148)
Have you been to Canyonlands National Park?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Canyonlands National Park
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: Collecting Postcards for my..."
- Wrote a Review Obey Warning Signs in Canyonlands National Park Warnings and Dangers
- Uploaded a Photo to "Whale Rock Trail"
- updated a Canyonlands National Park Travel Page "Basaic Canyonlands National Park Page"
- Commented on one of SteveOSF's Canyonlands National Park travel pages
Photos in Canyonlands National ParkSee All Photos (58)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Arizona Intro, 224 reviews, 557 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination United States of America Intro, 183 reviews, 381 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tucson Intro, 110 reviews, 327 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Mexico Intro, 91 reviews, 259 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Texas Intro, 114 reviews, 209 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Joshua Tree National Park Intro, 81 reviews, 190 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination California Intro, 68 reviews, 183 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cuyahoga Valley National Recreation Area Intro, 72 reviews, 169 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chiricahua National Monument Intro, 62 reviews, 164 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Great Smoky Mountains National Park Intro, 60 reviews, 148 photos