Rankin Things to Do Tips by Basaic
Rankin Things to Do: 4 reviews and 4 photos
Rankin has a few buildings of historic and/or architectural interest. I have no information about this restaurant but I don't think it catered to vegetarians.
The Rankin Library is a nice place to stop and catch up with the latest on VT and post tips of your trip. Another nice things about libraries is the people working there are usually very knowledgeable about the area and little known attractions.
Rankin has a nice museum located in the restored Yates Hotel which was built by rich oil tycoon Ira Yates in 1927. The museum has a number of displays of the old hotel along with pioneer artifacts, a restored 1940 Ford fire truck, and a meteorite that is believed to be a fragment of the much larger one that hit near Odessa. Hours are 2 PM to 5 PM Thursday and Friday and 1 PM to 5 PM on Saturday.
Address: 101 W. Main Street, Rankin, TX
Phone: (915) 693-2758
Upton County Courthouse
Rankin is a very small town of about 700 located in the Big Bend Region of West Texas. The town was named after F. E. Rankin who discovered an important source of water in this arid country. Rankin is the county seat of Upton County and serves area cattle ranchers and the oil industry. Part of the town consists of homes and businesses that were located in the nearby town of Upland. Upland was intended to be a station on the rail line from St Louis to Chihuahua, Mexico and had a stone county courthouse built. The town was later bypassed by rail lines and suffered a severe drought so the county seat was moved to Rankin as were several of the buildings. Upton County was named after John C. Upton a Confederate Colonel killed at the 2nd Battle of Manassas (and his brother).
Basaic's Related Pages
Rankin Travel Guide
Badges & Stats in Rankin
- 4 Reviews
- 7 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (1732)
Have you been to Rankin?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Rankin
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Arizona Intro, 225 reviews, 555 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination United States of America Intro, 183 reviews, 382 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tucson Intro, 122 reviews, 352 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Mexico Intro, 91 reviews, 259 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Texas Intro, 117 reviews, 226 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Joshua Tree National Park Intro, 81 reviews, 190 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination California Intro, 69 reviews, 183 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Yuma Intro, 71 reviews, 178 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cuyahoga Valley National Recreation Area Intro, 72 reviews, 169 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chiricahua National Monument Intro, 62 reviews, 164 photos