"Basaic Palestine Page" Top 5 Page for this destination Palestine by Basaic
Palestine Travel Guide: 83 reviews and 120 photos
Palestine (pronounced Pah-LESS-Teen or PAL-uh-steen) is a town of about 18,700 (up 6% since 2000) located along US Highways 79, 84, and 287 in eastern Texas. Palestine is the county seat of Anderson County, and was named for Palestine, Illinois. The original county seat was a small village named Houston (no not that one); but it was determined that the town was two miles from the center of the county. Taking the ruling that county seats in Texas should be in the center of the county VERY literally the town of Palestine was established in the 1840s as the county seat. Anderson County was named for former Vice President of the Texas Republic Kenneth L. Anderson. The beautiful Anderson County Courthouse was designed by the Austin architectural firm of Charles Page & Brother using the Beaux Arts style of architecture and was completed in 1914. I like the Ionic Columns, the Porticoes, and the statue of Justice. The courthouse is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
Palestine has the second most number of buildings listed on the National Register of Historic Places of any city in Texas, ncluding four full historic districts. Galveston has the most.
Another reason to go here is to see the Museum for East Texas Culture, which is located in the old Palestine High School. The building is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
One of the things I find really interesting when traveling to towns like Plaestine are the stories about the locals. I... more travel advice
There is a nice memorial on the courthouse grounds to all Anderson County Veterans who died in service to their country.... more travel advice
Basaic's Related Pages
Palestine Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Keeweechic's Palestine, TX"
- "Basaic Palestine Page"
- "Palestine, Texas"
- "Palestine History"
- "jkwcrw's new Palestine Page"
- "cuteboy's new Palestine Page"
- "bill500's new Palestine Page"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Palestine
- Hotels in Palestine
- Transportation in Palestine
- Nightlife in Palestine
- Restaurants in Palestine
- Shopping in Palestine
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Palestine
- 13 Reviews
- 24 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (150)
Have you been to Palestine?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Palestine
Photos in PalestineSee All Photos (24)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Arizona Intro, 224 reviews, 557 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination United States of America Intro, 183 reviews, 381 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tucson Intro, 110 reviews, 327 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Mexico Intro, 91 reviews, 259 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Texas Intro, 116 reviews, 216 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Joshua Tree National Park Intro, 81 reviews, 190 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination California Intro, 68 reviews, 183 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cuyahoga Valley National Recreation Area Intro, 72 reviews, 169 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chiricahua National Monument Intro, 62 reviews, 164 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Great Smoky Mountains National Park Intro, 60 reviews, 148 photos