"Basaic Marfa Page" Marfa by Basaic
Marfa Travel Guide: 19 reviews and 45 photos
The Presidio County Courthouse was built in 1886 using the Second Empire style of architecture. It was designed by the architect J.H. Britton. That is the goddess of Justice standing on top of the dome. This is one of the prettier courthouses in the area.
The Marfa Presidio County Museum is located on US Highway 90 near the center of town. It is housed in the old Humphries House, which is a registered historical landmark. The museum contains a nice collection of artifacts that includes fossils, native American and early settler tools as well as information on the area's early ranching, rural life and military history. An extensive collection of photographs detailing the history of this region is also displayed. The day I was there they were having an open house which included free food and wine. It was packed. It seemed obvious the people of Marfa are very proud and very supportive of their museum. Admision is free, but donations are appreciated. The museum is open Tuesday through Saturday, year round from 2 PM to 5 PM.
The Marfa Lights are a mysterious phenomena that has reportedly been around since at least 1883. There is also some indications of Native American Sightings of the lights well before that date. Exactly what the lights are is open for lively debate. Marfa has built a viewing area on US Highway 90, nine miles East of town, so you can see the lights in more comfort. There is a festival of the lights during Labor Day Weekend.
The Marfa Lights are a mysterious phenomena that has reportedly been around since at least 1883. There is also some... more travel advice
The El Paisano Hotel was named for the nearby Paisano Mountains. The building was designed by the famed architecture... more travel advice
Basaic's Related Pages
Marfa Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Basaic Marfa Page"
- "Marfa, Texas"
- "Marfa- an "experience" between LA and Houston"
- "AGBAT's new Marfa Page"
- "Go to Marfa Texas!"
- "Tres bizarre!!!"
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Marfa
- 6 Reviews
- 17 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (117)
Have you been to Marfa?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Marfa
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Arizona Intro, 222 reviews, 550 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination United States of America Intro, 183 reviews, 381 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tucson Intro, 109 reviews, 327 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Mexico Intro, 91 reviews, 259 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Texas Intro, 104 reviews, 197 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Joshua Tree National Park Intro, 81 reviews, 190 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination California Intro, 68 reviews, 183 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cuyahoga Valley National Recreation Area Intro, 72 reviews, 169 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chiricahua National Monument Intro, 62 reviews, 164 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Great Smoky Mountains National Park Intro, 60 reviews, 148 photos