"Basaic Huntsville Page" Top 5 Page for this destination Huntsville by Basaic
Huntsville Travel Guide: 90 reviews and 239 photos
Huntsville is a small city of almost 40,000 (up 10% since 2000) located along Interstate 45/US Highway 190 in the Piney Woods part of East Texas. The settlement of Huntsville began in 1836 when Ephraim Gray and his wife started a trading post here. Gray named the town after his hometown of Huntsville, Alabama. A short time later another famous Texan, Sam Houston, came to town. Huntsville is the county seat of Walker County. Walker County was initially named after Robert J. Walker the Mississippi legislator who introduced the bill to annex Texas; but was changed after Walker supported the Union during the Civil War. After that Walker County was named after Walker, Texas Ranger (no not Chuck Norris, but Samuel H. Walker).
There are several museums in Huntsville ranging from veterans to prisons to Sam Houston and the arts.
As you zip along Interstate 45, it is hard to miss the 70 foot statue of Sam Houston on a 10 foot pedestal.
- In a nutshell:Interesting Town With Lots to See; Friendly People
Even in a fairly decent sized town like Huntsville, the Texas habit of relaxing has long been evident. There are several... more travel advice
Huntsvile's place in Texas History gives it a very nice historic district with several buildings of historical and/or... more travel advice
Basaic's Related Pages
Huntsville Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Basaic Huntsville Page"
- "Huntsville, Home of Sam Houston"
- "Huntsville, Texas: Home of Sam Houston"
- "Center of Texas history -- past and present"
- "Search for the perfect BBQ"
- "Sam Houston's Town"
- "Huntsville, TX - more than a prison!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Huntsville
- Hotels in Huntsville
- Transportation in Huntsville
- Nightlife in Huntsville
- Restaurants in Huntsville
- Warnings and Dangers in Huntsville
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Huntsville
- 28 Reviews
- 68 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (148)
Have you been to Huntsville?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Huntsville
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Arizona Intro, 224 reviews, 557 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination United States of America Intro, 183 reviews, 381 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tucson Intro, 110 reviews, 327 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Mexico Intro, 91 reviews, 259 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Texas Intro, 114 reviews, 209 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Joshua Tree National Park Intro, 81 reviews, 190 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination California Intro, 68 reviews, 183 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cuyahoga Valley National Recreation Area Intro, 72 reviews, 169 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chiricahua National Monument Intro, 62 reviews, 164 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Great Smoky Mountains National Park Intro, 60 reviews, 148 photos