"Basaic Guadalupe Mountains National Park Page" Top 5 Page for this destination Guadalupe Mountains National Park by Basaic
Guadalupe Mountains National Park Travel Guide: 110 reviews and 251 photos
The Guadalupe Mountains are part of a marine fossil reef named the Capitan Reef. The Capitan Reef was formed some 260 to 270 million years ago when the area was covered by a vast tropical ocean. Geologists come from all around the world to study the fossil rich remains of this reef that was formed of calcareous sponges, algae, and lime seeping from the sea water. Other above ground portions of the reef are the Apache Mountains, due south of the park and the Glass Mountains to the southeast. The spectacular Carlsbad Caverns north of the park in New Mexico is also part of the reef formation. Inside the park is Guadalupe Peak, which at over 8700 feet is the highest point in Texas.
A short distance northeast of the turnoff for the Headquarters Visitors Center is the turnoff for the Historic Frijole Ranch. The ranch is the most complete remnant of early ranching and farming enterprises in the Guadalupe Mountains and is one of the oldest substantial buildings in West Texas. It was built in the 1870s by two early pioneers, the Rader Brothers. Ranch buildings included the main house, a spring-house, a milk house, a school, a bunkhouse and a barn.
McKittrick Canyon has been called "the most beautiful spot in Texas". After seeing it that is hard to argue with.
There are some well done, interesting displays about the area and the wildlife in the visitors center. These include a... more travel advice
The McKittrick Canyon Trail had signs along the way to help ensure you stayed on the right trail and to give you an idea... more travel advice
Basaic's Related Pages
Guadalupe Mountains National Park Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Basaic Guadalupe Mountains National Park Page"
- "The Park with a Past"
- "Guadalupe Mountains National Park: Two Itineraries"
- "Guadalupe Mountain National Park by Kimberlyann"
- "Desert Beauty"
- "Ocean Reefs in the Sky"
- "Sharrie's Guadalupe Mountains N. P."
- See All...
- Things to Do in Guadalupe Mountains National Park
- Hotels in Guadalupe Mountains National Park
- Transportation in Guadalupe Mountains National Park
- Warnings and Dangers in Guadalupe Mountains National Park
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Guadalupe Mountains National Park
- 19 Reviews
- 52 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (1732)
Have you been to Guadalupe Mountains National Park?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Guadalupe Mountains National Park
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: Picture number twenty thousand"
- updated a Guadalupe Mountains National Park Travel Page "Basaic Guadalupe Mountains National Park Page"
- Wrote a Review Visitors Center Displays in Guadalupe Mountains National Park Things to Do
- Uploaded a Photo to "Visitors Center Displays"
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Arizona Intro, 225 reviews, 555 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination United States of America Intro, 183 reviews, 382 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tucson Intro, 122 reviews, 352 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Mexico Intro, 91 reviews, 259 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Texas Intro, 117 reviews, 226 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Joshua Tree National Park Intro, 81 reviews, 190 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination California Intro, 69 reviews, 183 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Yuma Intro, 71 reviews, 178 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cuyahoga Valley National Recreation Area Intro, 72 reviews, 169 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chiricahua National Monument Intro, 62 reviews, 164 photos