"Basaic Granbury Page" Top 5 Page for this destination Granbury by Basaic
Granbury Travel Guide: 131 reviews and 194 photos
Granbury is a town of about 8000 located in North Central Texas near the Dallas/Ft Worth area. Wikipedia calls Granbury basically a "suburb of Fort Worth" but don't tell the locals that. The town started in 1825, and was later named after Texas General Hiram B. Granberry. There are various explanations for the difference in spelling. Granbury is the county seat of Hood County, and sports an impressive courthouse (the fifth for the county) built in 1881 using a Texas version of the French Second Empire style of architecture.
Granbury is dominated by Lake Granbury which was created in 1969 with a dam built on the Brazos River. The lake runs through the town and in addition to the usual hotels, resorts and condos there is a neat fishing pier and a city beach so the locals and tourists can escpae the heat of a Texas summer and enjoy the water.
One of the more interesting amongst the numerous buildings in Granbury, listed on the National Register of Historic Places is the David L. Nutt Home. This house was built in 1879 and styled after Southern Plantations. It was converted into the first hotel in town and was jokingly called "The Nutt House". Nutt figured prominently in the founding and early growth of Granbury. The house is now home to the Bridge Street History Center.
- In a nutshell:Nice Lake, Interesting History
Mary Lou Watkins is a descendant of the Nutt Brothers, who helped found the town of Granbury, and was a key part of the... more travel advice
This very interesting building of native stone was built by local contractor Jim Warren in 1893, for two blind brothers... more travel advice
Basaic's Related Pages
Granbury Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Granbury--A Genteel Place With Loads of Grace"
- "Basaic Granbury Page"
- "Keeweechic's Granbury"
- "Granbury - Texas town rich in history!"
- "Close to Dallas/Fort Worth"
- "tubascoot's new Granbury Page"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Granbury
- Hotels in Granbury
- Transportation in Granbury
- Nightlife in Granbury
- Restaurants in Granbury
- Shopping in Granbury
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Granbury
- 25 Reviews
- 40 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (1379)
Have you been to Granbury?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Granbury
Photos in GranburySee All Photos (40)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Arizona Intro, 223 reviews, 553 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination United States of America Intro, 183 reviews, 382 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tucson Intro, 110 reviews, 327 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Mexico Intro, 91 reviews, 259 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Texas Intro, 117 reviews, 225 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Joshua Tree National Park Intro, 81 reviews, 190 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination California Intro, 68 reviews, 183 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cuyahoga Valley National Recreation Area Intro, 72 reviews, 169 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chiricahua National Monument Intro, 62 reviews, 164 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sierra Vista Intro, 61 reviews, 152 photos