"Basaic El Paso Page" Top 5 Page for this destination El Paso by Basaic
El Paso Travel Guide: 220 reviews and 612 photos
El Paso is a large city with a population of over 600,000 located on the border with Mexico just South of New Mexico. El Paso can trace its origins back to settlements established in 1598 during the Juan de Onate Expeditions, and later a settlement from 1827 by Juan Maria Ponce de Leon. It is the largest U.S, city along the border across from the largest Mexican city along the border, Juarez. El Paso is the county seat of El Paso County.
The Chamizal National Memorial honors the peaceful settlement of a long-term border dispute between the United States and Mexico. The border was accepted to be along the Rio Grande (US name)/Rio Bravo (Mexican name) as per the treaty of Guadalupe Hidalgo which ended the US-Mexican War in 1848. In 1864 there was massive flooding which altered the course of the river starting a border dispute that would last almost 100 years. Several attempts to solve the dispute failed until President John F. Kennedy initiated the Chamizal Convention to resolve the location of the border with Mexican President Lopez Mateos. The dispute was resolved peacefully in 1963. It is nice to see two countries resolve a dispute in peace!
There are three state parks either inside El Paso or very close by: Magoffin Home State Historic Site; Franklin Mountains State Park; and Hueco Tanks State Historic Site. I will cover all three on this page.
- In a nutshell:Lots to See in an Historic Town
Chili's: $13 as of December 2014. Chili's is a slightly upscale chain restaurant that is pretty consistent in decor and... more travel advice
You pretty well know what to expect at a Denny's and this one had the usual food. If you normally like Denny's you will... more travel advice
Basaic's Related Pages
El Paso Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The Sun City"
- "Jumping Around El Paso!"
- "El Paso: City of Sun and Sharp Contrasts"
- "Basaic El Paso Page"
- "El Paso, Texas"
- "El Paso appears not to be Bush country"
- "Out in the West Texas Town of El Paso"
- See All...
- Things to Do in El Paso
- Hotels in El Paso
- Transportation in El Paso
- Nightlife in El Paso
- Restaurants in El Paso
- Shopping in El Paso
- Warnings and Dangers in El Paso
- See All...
Badges & Stats in El Paso
- 44 Reviews
- 101 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (1732)
Have you been to El Paso?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in El Paso
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Arizona Intro, 225 reviews, 555 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination United States of America Intro, 183 reviews, 382 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tucson Intro, 122 reviews, 352 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Mexico Intro, 91 reviews, 259 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Texas Intro, 117 reviews, 226 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Joshua Tree National Park Intro, 81 reviews, 190 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination California Intro, 69 reviews, 183 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Yuma Intro, 71 reviews, 178 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cuyahoga Valley National Recreation Area Intro, 72 reviews, 169 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chiricahua National Monument Intro, 62 reviews, 164 photos