"Basaic Colorado City Page" Colorado City by Basaic
Colorado City Travel Guide: 2 reviews and 6 photos
Colorado City was established around 1881 as just Colorado, Texas. It became Colorado City in 1939. Colorado City is located in central Texas, has a population of about 4300, and is the county seat of Mitchell County. The county was named after two brothers who were early settlers here and were soldiers in the Texas Revolution. The courthouse is a nice example of the Classical Revival style of architecture and was built in 1924 replacing the earlier courthouse built in 1881.
There is a very nice museum in the town called the Heart of West Texas Museum. The museum has several displays about the history (and prehistory) of the area, its prominent characters and the industries that made the town. Most interesting is the fact that near the town the spearpoint of an ancient group of humans was found. This is the same type of point discovered in Clovis, New Mexico but earlier. The group of scientists that made the discovery in Clovis petitioned that the scientific method used on the find near here was not correct, so the point is now called a "Clovis Point".
Associated with the museum is another local attraction called "The Heritage House". Heritage House is a restored structure of historical and architectural interest that is filled with period furniture and displays. It is well worth a visit.
- In a nutshell:It was almost the "Colorado Point"
$95 in December 2014. This is a newer hotel built for the oil boom. It looks okay on the outside and has nice large... more travel advice
Basaic's Related Pages
Colorado City Travel Guide
Badges & Stats in Colorado City
- 2 Reviews
- 6 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (1316)
Have you been to Colorado City?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Colorado City
Photos in Colorado CitySee All Photos (6)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Arizona Intro, 223 reviews, 553 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination United States of America Intro, 183 reviews, 381 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tucson Intro, 110 reviews, 327 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Mexico Intro, 91 reviews, 259 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Texas Intro, 117 reviews, 217 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Joshua Tree National Park Intro, 81 reviews, 190 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination California Intro, 68 reviews, 183 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cuyahoga Valley National Recreation Area Intro, 72 reviews, 169 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chiricahua National Monument Intro, 62 reviews, 164 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Great Smoky Mountains National Park Intro, 60 reviews, 148 photos