"Basaic Big Bend National Park Page" Top 5 Page for this destination Big Bend National Park by Basaic
Big Bend National Park Travel Guide: 187 reviews and 425 photos
The Rio Grande River follows the border between Texas and Mexico for over 1000 miles. 244 miles of it are administered by the National Park Service in Big Bend National Park. Big Bend is sometimes called "three parks in one" because it has a mountain areas, a desert area and the area along the river. There is evidence of human habitation here for almost 10,000 years and fossils have been found from the Cretaceous and Tertiary Periods. At over 800,000 acres, Big Bend is also one of the largest parks under the National Park Service. Big Bend got its name from the way the Rio Grande curves in this part of West Texas.
Big Bend was a popular destination for high society in the early 1900s. There were some fancy hotels here and a popular hot spring resort. This was also a popular crossing point into Mexico. The springs are still here but the facilities are closed and falling to ruin (still worth checking out though). The border crossing is closed not that it seemed to stop people from crossing from Mexico, setting up some souvenirs, crossing back to Mexico, and then coming back to collect their money later.
There are a wide variety of places to stop along the scenic drives through the park and a number of recreational possibilities. A lot of the park is only accessible with high clearance and/or 4 wheel drive vehicles. There are miles of hiking trails and you can also boat on the river. One very nice trail takes you to a formation called "The Window" for the way it opens up a view between two mountain ridges to the valley betond.
- In a nutshell:Interesting place with varied terrain
There are a variety of other attractions nearby in West Texas: Fort Davis National Historic Site is an old fort from the... more travel advice
There is a small house near the visitors center that was constructed by the Civilian Conservation Corps in the 1930s. It... more travel advice
Basaic's Related Pages
Big Bend National Park Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Beautiful, wild and remote Western Texas!"
- "Basaic Big Bend National Park Page"
- "Big Bend National Park, Texas U.S.A."
- "Bending on the Border"
- "Underappreciated National Treasure"
- "Big Bend National Park"
- "Big Bend"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Big Bend National Park
- Hotels in Big Bend National Park
- Transportation in Big Bend National Park
- Nightlife in Big Bend National Park
- Restaurants in Big Bend National Park
- Shopping in Big Bend National Park
- Warnings and Dangers in Big Bend National Park
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Big Bend National Park
- 47 Reviews
- 81 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (1732)
Have you been to Big Bend National Park?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Big Bend National Park
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: Picture number twenty thousand"
- updated a Big Bend National Park Travel Page "Basaic Big Bend National Park Page"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Getting to the Park"
- Wrote a Review Nearby Attractions about Fort Davis National Historic Site in Big Bend National Park Things to Do
Photos in Big Bend National ParkSee All Photos (81)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Arizona Intro, 225 reviews, 555 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination United States of America Intro, 183 reviews, 382 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tucson Intro, 122 reviews, 352 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Mexico Intro, 91 reviews, 259 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Texas Intro, 117 reviews, 226 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Joshua Tree National Park Intro, 81 reviews, 190 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination California Intro, 69 reviews, 183 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Yuma Intro, 71 reviews, 178 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cuyahoga Valley National Recreation Area Intro, 72 reviews, 169 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chiricahua National Monument Intro, 62 reviews, 164 photos