"Basaic Abilene Page" Top 5 Page for this destination Abilene by Basaic
Abilene Travel Guide: 86 reviews and 103 photos
Abilene is a city of over 117,000 (up 1% since 2000) located along Interstate 20 at the intersection of US Highways 83, 84, and 277. Abilene was named after the Kansas cattle town and was established on 15 April 1881. However, the area had long been settled by Indians, then the U.S. Army, then buffalo hunters and ranchers before that date. Abilene is the county seat for Taylor County. Taylor County was named after Edward, James and George Taylor; three sons of Anson Taylor all killed at the Alamo. The current Taylor County Courthouse was just built in 1971. The previous courthouse still stands across the street from the new one.
There are quite a few nice museums in Abilene.
Abilene is also pretty kid friendly with a couple of kid related museums and statues; like the "Cat in the Hat".
- In a nutshell:Good For Kids of All Ages
The O'Kelly Building was completed in 1929 by David S. Castle using the Art Deco style of architecture. It housed the W.... more travel advice
The Hotel Wooten was completed in 1930 by prominent Abilene businessman W. O. Wooten and was one of several buildings in... more travel advice
Basaic's Related Pages
Abilene Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Basaic Abilene Page"
- ""Prettiest Town That I've Ever Seen"?"
- "Steak and BBQ"
- "Little Town in the West"
- "yo abilene is be waaaay crazy"
- "jbrad's new Abilene page"
- "Txbossman's new Abilene Page"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Abilene
- Hotels in Abilene
- Transportation in Abilene
- Nightlife in Abilene
- Restaurants in Abilene
- Shopping in Abilene
- Warnings and Dangers in Abilene
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Abilene
- 26 Reviews
- 55 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (1433)
Have you been to Abilene?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Abilene
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Arizona Intro, 224 reviews, 554 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination United States of America Intro, 183 reviews, 382 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tucson Intro, 110 reviews, 327 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Mexico Intro, 91 reviews, 259 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Texas Intro, 117 reviews, 225 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Joshua Tree National Park Intro, 81 reviews, 190 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination California Intro, 69 reviews, 183 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cuyahoga Valley National Recreation Area Intro, 72 reviews, 169 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chiricahua National Monument Intro, 62 reviews, 164 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sierra Vista Intro, 61 reviews, 152 photos