"Basaic Wind Cave National Park Page" Wind Cave National Park by Basaic
Wind Cave National Park Travel Guide: 41 reviews and 73 photos
There are two parks under the National Park Service, involving caves, right near each other in the Black Hills part of Southwest South Dakota. They are Jewel Cave and Wind Cave. There is a bit of difference between the two caves and the formations therein and both are worth visiting but if you only have time to choose one, I would recommend Wind Cave. Wind Cave is more unique and there is more to do other than the cave.
Wind Cave does not have the usual stalactites (formations coming down from the ceiling) and stalagmites (formations rising from the ground). It instead has an intricate pattern of thin lines called a "Boxwork Formation". This is because Wind Cave is a dry cave as opposed to the much more common wet caves. Wind cave contains 98% of the world's known Boxwork Formations.
I was surprised by the number of, and variety of, animals in the park. I saw no wildlife in nearby Jewel Cave National Monument except birds. Wind Cave has a decent sized herd of Americak Bison (commonly, mistakenly, referred to as a "Buffalo").
The wildlife is definitely not confined to bison, there are a number of other animal species here too. I saw a couple of small herds of pronghorn antelope.
The last trail I will mention is the Sanctuary Trail. This is a moderately strenuous trail that is 3.5 miles one way.... more travel advice
This is a moderately strenuous trail that circles the campground. It is also about the best place in the park to see... more travel advice
Basaic's Related Pages
Wind Cave National Park Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Basaic Wind Cave National Park Page"
- "Unique wonders above and below ground"
- "Almost a Boutique of a National Park"
- "Wind Cave Natl Park - The long and winding cave."
- "Wind Cave National Park"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Wind Cave National Park
- Hotels in Wind Cave National Park
- Warnings and Dangers in Wind Cave National Park
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Wind Cave National Park
- 26 Reviews
- 55 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (150)
Have you been to Wind Cave National Park?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Wind Cave National Park
Photos in Wind Cave National ParkSee All Photos (55)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Arizona Intro, 224 reviews, 557 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination United States of America Intro, 183 reviews, 381 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tucson Intro, 110 reviews, 327 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Mexico Intro, 91 reviews, 259 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Texas Intro, 116 reviews, 216 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Joshua Tree National Park Intro, 81 reviews, 190 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination California Intro, 68 reviews, 183 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cuyahoga Valley National Recreation Area Intro, 72 reviews, 169 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chiricahua National Monument Intro, 62 reviews, 164 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Great Smoky Mountains National Park Intro, 60 reviews, 148 photos