"Basaic Badlands National Park Page" Top 5 Page for this destination Badlands National Park by Basaic
Badlands National Park Travel Guide: 148 reviews and 414 photos
Like Death Valley, the Badlands can mislead you with its name. Sure there is much more inviting land in many places; but the Badlands supports a surprising variety of animal and plant life. Whatever the conditions, nature will adapt. The main part of the park for touring is the North Unit which is parallel to, and just south of, Interstate 90. There are three entrances to the park: One from the south called the interior entrance and the two main entrances; the Northeast (Exit 131) and Pinnacles (Exit 110). I recommend Exit 131 because it is closest to the Visitors Center.
I saw quite a bit more wildlife than I anticipated on my trip through the badlands. There was a variety of birds along with chipmunks, prairie dogs, rabbits, deer, mountain goats, and bison.
This area was a shallow sea some 75 million years ago. The area was covered with a quite different variety of plants and animals. Take the fossil trail to learn some about this ancient past. Human habitation of the area has a much shorter history of only 11,000 to 12,000 years.
- In a nutshell:Surprisingly Alive
The Fossil Exhibits Trail is a 400 meter boardwalk trail that is wheelchair accessible. Be aware though that some of the... more travel advice
This trail is a 100 meter boardwalk that is fully wheelchair accessible. It offers a great view of the bowl shaped Cliff... more travel advice
Basaic's Related Pages
Badlands National Park Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Awesome Badlands National Park!"
- "Basaic Badlands National Park Page"
- "On Second Glance: Not So Bad After All"
- "Beautiful Badlands"
- "Not really a honeymoon ;)"
- "The Beautiful Badlands"
- "Badlands - A place with "Rocks""
- See All...
- Things to Do in Badlands National Park
- Hotels in Badlands National Park
- Transportation in Badlands National Park
- Nightlife in Badlands National Park
- Restaurants in Badlands National Park
- Warnings and Dangers in Badlands National Park
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Badlands National Park
- 36 Reviews
- 87 Photos
- 2 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (1720)
Have you been to Badlands National Park?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Badlands National Park
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: Hotels to Add to VT"
- Commented on one of Basaic's Badlands National Park travel pages
- Wrote a Review Fossil Exhibits Trail in Badlands National Park Sports & Outdoors
- Uploaded a Photo to "Fossil Exhibits Trail"
- updated a Badlands National Park Travel Page "Basaic Badlands National Park Page"
Photos in Badlands National ParkSee All Photos (87)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Arizona Intro, 224 reviews, 554 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination United States of America Intro, 183 reviews, 382 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tucson Intro, 110 reviews, 327 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Mexico Intro, 91 reviews, 259 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Texas Intro, 117 reviews, 226 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Joshua Tree National Park Intro, 81 reviews, 190 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination California Intro, 69 reviews, 183 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cuyahoga Valley National Recreation Area Intro, 72 reviews, 169 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chiricahua National Monument Intro, 62 reviews, 164 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sierra Vista Intro, 61 reviews, 152 photos