"Basaic Badlands National Park Page" Top 5 Page for this destination Badlands National Park by Basaic

Badlands National Park Travel Guide: 147 reviews and 404 photos

Badlands National Park

Like Death Valley, the Badlands can mislead you with its name. Sure there is much more inviting land in many places; but the Badlands supports a surprising variety of animal and plant life. Whatever the conditions, nature will adapt. The main part of the park for touring is the North Unit which is parallel to, and just south of, Interstate 90. There are three entrances to the park: One from the south called the interior entrance and the two main entrances; the Northeast (Exit 131) and Pinnacles (Exit 110). I recommend Exit 131 because it is closest to the Visitors Center.

Wildlife

I saw quite a bit more wildlife than I anticipated on my trip through the badlands. There was a variety of birds along with chipmunks, prairie dogs, rabbits, deer, mountain goats, and bison.

Ancient Past

This area was a shallow sea some 75 million years ago. The area was covered with a quite different variety of plants and animals. Take the fossil trail to learn some about this ancient past. Human habitation of the area has a much shorter history of only 11,000 to 12,000 years.

• In a nutshell:Surprisingly Alive
  • Last visit to Badlands National Park: Sep 2010
  • Intro Updated Nov 19, 2011

• BruceDunning's Profile Photo
    Feb 9, 2013 at 3:46 PM

I am planning a trip here next spring or earlier. Thanks for the guides

• Basaic's Profile Photo
      Feb 10, 2013 at 9:10 AM

Badlands is interesting and there is quite a bit in the area (Deadwood, Sturgis, Custer SP etc)

• JessieLang's Profile Photo
    Jan 9, 2012 at 2:41 PM

I wanted to see your Badlands pages because I've been there and really liked it. Good job! I think it is important to let people know what is accessible and what is more difficult. (Your description of the Notch Trail tells me I want NO part of it!)

• Yaqui's Profile Photo
    Dec 9, 2011 at 9:35 AM

Love places like these. Parks are so essential in preserving our history and cultures! Excellent page!

Basaic

“That which does not kill us makes us stronger.”

Badges & Stats in Badlands National Park

Have you been to Badlands National Park?