"Basaic Congaree National Park Page" Top 5 Page for this destination Congaree Swamp National Monument by Basaic
Congaree Swamp National Monument Travel Guide: 40 reviews and 101 photos
Congaree National Park protects 24,000 acres of old-growth bottomland hardwood forrest. Congaree is the largest contiguous area of floodplain/forrest in the US. It is supported by periodic flooding from the Congaree River. This habitat supports a wide variety of plant and animal life. Congaree was just upgraded from a National Monument to a National Park in November 2003. It is located in central South Carolina. One of the highlights of the park are the "champion trees" like the 150 foot tall Bald Cypress trees and the 167 foot tall Loblolly Pines.
The best way to see the park is probably taking a canoe along some of the canoe trails. If you cannot do that then there are some hiking trails. I suggest the Boardwalk Trail.
In addition to looking up at the tall trees, look down. There is an amazing variety of fungi and mushrooms growing here in the wetlands.
As with all places you should obey all warning signs because they are there to protect you and the park. I found the... more travel advice
The Sims Trail cuts through the area surrounded by the Boardwalk Trail and connects with other trails. Water, Good... more travel advice
Basaic's Related Pages
Congaree Swamp National Monument Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "congaree swamp national park"
- "A Winter Visit to Congaree Swamp"
- "National Monument to National Park"
- "Basaic Congaree National Park Page"
- "Holiday Congaree Trip"
- "Cold day in the forest"
- "Only swamp left in the US"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Congaree Swamp National Monument
- Hotels in Congaree Swamp National Monument
- Warnings and Dangers in Congaree Swamp National Monument
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Congaree Swamp National Monument
- 20 Reviews
- 47 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (1382)
Have you been to Congaree Swamp National Monument?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Congaree Swamp National Monument
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: Hotels to Add to VT"
- Commented on one of jmpncsu's Congaree Swamp National Monument tips
- Wrote a Review Warnings in Congaree Swamp National Monument Warnings and Dangers
- Uploaded a Photo to "Hiking Trails"
- updated a Congaree Swamp National Monument Travel Page "Basaic Congaree National Park Page"
Photos in Congaree Swamp National MonumentSee All Photos (47)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Arizona Intro, 224 reviews, 554 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination United States of America Intro, 183 reviews, 382 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tucson Intro, 110 reviews, 327 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Mexico Intro, 91 reviews, 259 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Texas Intro, 117 reviews, 225 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Joshua Tree National Park Intro, 81 reviews, 190 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination California Intro, 69 reviews, 183 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cuyahoga Valley National Recreation Area Intro, 72 reviews, 169 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chiricahua National Monument Intro, 62 reviews, 164 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sierra Vista Intro, 61 reviews, 152 photos