"Basaic Crater Lake National Park Page" Top 5 Page for this destination Crater Lake National Park by Basaic
Crater Lake National Park Travel Guide: 150 reviews and 440 photos
Crater Lake was formed about 7700 years ago when a 12,000 foot (3600 meter) volcano collapsed during a major eruption, believed to be the largest eruption in North America in the last 640,000 years. The lake is fed by rain and snow and has no rivers or streams. It is considered the cleanest large body of water in the world and at 1943 feet (or 593 meters) is the deepest lake in the United States. Today the slopes of the volcano are blanketed by old growth forest and meadows providing a home for a variety of plants and animals including several rare species. The park was established in 1902, consists of 183,000 acres and attracts over half a million visitors a year. One good way to see the lake is to drive the 33 mile (53 kilometer) rim drive and stop at several of the overlooks. You can do this in a fast day but to fully experience the park you should spend at least a couple of days here. The entrance fee is $10. Accessibility is limited during winter months.
Wizard Island was formed during a second eruption some 400 years after the one that formed Crater Lake. It is a cinder cone volcano named after its resemblance to a wizards hat. There are numerous places along the rim drive to see the island but one of the best is Watchman Overlook. There are also boat tours that take you by the island and 96 tickets per day are sold to actually disembark on the island for swimming, fishing and hiking.
Pinnacles Overlook is located at the end of a 7 mile spur road, and is well worth the drive. The pinnacles are a collection of 100 foot (30 meter) tall spires eroded from the canyon walls. These are what is called “fossil fumaroles” and are where volcanic gas rose up through volcanic ash deposits fusing them solid. Many of these fumaroles are hollow inside.
- In a nutshell:Beautiful and Interesting Location
As always I enjoyed meeting my fellow travelers like this group of German College Students attending college here in... more travel advice
Pinnacles Overlook is located at the end of a 7 mile spur road, and is well worth the drive. The pinnacles are a... more travel advice
Basaic's Related Pages
Crater Lake National Park Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Basaic Crater Lake National Park Page"
- "Crater Lake National Park"
- "Reflections of Crater Lake"
- "The purest body of water in the world!"
- "OREGON"S FIRST NATIONAL PARK"
- "Jewel in the Cascades"
- "Where Else Can You Swim in a Volcano?"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Crater Lake National Park
- Hotels in Crater Lake National Park
- Transportation in Crater Lake National Park
- Nightlife in Crater Lake National Park
- Restaurants in Crater Lake National Park
- Warnings and Dangers in Crater Lake National Park
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Crater Lake National Park
- 22 Reviews
- 72 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (1603)
Have you been to Crater Lake National Park?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Crater Lake National Park
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Arizona Intro, 224 reviews, 554 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination United States of America Intro, 183 reviews, 382 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tucson Intro, 110 reviews, 327 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Mexico Intro, 91 reviews, 259 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Texas Intro, 117 reviews, 226 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Joshua Tree National Park Intro, 81 reviews, 190 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination California Intro, 69 reviews, 183 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cuyahoga Valley National Recreation Area Intro, 72 reviews, 169 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chiricahua National Monument Intro, 62 reviews, 164 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sierra Vista Intro, 61 reviews, 152 photos