"Basaic Lawton Page" Top 5 Page for this destination Lawton by Basaic
Lawton Travel Guide: 18 reviews and 17 photos
Lawton is a city of about 98,000 (up 6% since 2000) located at the intersection of Interstate 44 and US Highway 62 in Comanche County in South Central Oklahoma. The area was long occupied by various Indian tribes like the Kiowa, Comanche and Apache, along with pre-historic habitation (like the Clovis People some 13,000 years ago). The town was formed in 1901 after Indian lands here were opened to settlers and was named after General Henry W. Lawton. General Lawton received the Medal of Honor for actions during the Civil War, served in various Indian Campaigns and the Spanish American War and was killed in action during a campaign in the Philippines in 1899. Much of the economic success and stability of the city was due to its location near the army base Fort Sill, but the city has developed a diverse economy since the early days. Lawton is the county seat of Comanche County which was formed in 1901 and was named after the Comanche Indians.
Lawton has some very nice museums like the Great Plains Museum that are worth a visit.
The Mattie Beal Home is one of over a dozen historically and/or architecturally interesting sites in Lawton that are listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
This nice veterans memorial was placed on the grounds of the county courthouse in 1923 to honor Comanche County Veterans... more travel advice
The McMahon Memorial Auditorium is located in Elmer Thomas Park and is dedicated to Eugene McMahon who started the... more travel advice
Basaic's Related Pages
Lawton Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Fort Sill Military Base"
- "Basaic Lawton Page"
- "BFSkinner's new Lawton Page"
- "misterscot's new Lawton Page"
- "Military town"
- "This is where I call home"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Lawton
- Hotels in Lawton
- Nightlife in Lawton
- Restaurants in Lawton
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Lawton
- 6 Reviews
- 12 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (1732)
Have you been to Lawton?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Lawton
Photos in LawtonSee All Photos (12)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Arizona Intro, 225 reviews, 555 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination United States of America Intro, 183 reviews, 382 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tucson Intro, 122 reviews, 352 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Mexico Intro, 91 reviews, 259 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Texas Intro, 117 reviews, 226 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Joshua Tree National Park Intro, 81 reviews, 190 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination California Intro, 69 reviews, 183 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Yuma Intro, 71 reviews, 178 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cuyahoga Valley National Recreation Area Intro, 72 reviews, 169 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chiricahua National Monument Intro, 62 reviews, 164 photos