"Basaic Oriskany Page" Oriskany by Basaic
Oriskany Travel Guide: 1 reviews and 6 photos
Oriskany is a small village of 1400 located in East Central New York. Oriskany was named using the Oneida word for "River of Nettles". There was an Oneida settlement here with the same name prior to establishment of the village. The village itself is pretty nice but the majority of people that come here do so to visit the battlefield and the monument to the battle.
The battle of Oriskany occured on 6 August 1777 when a group of colonial soldiers led by General Nicholas Herkimer was attacked as they passed the Oneida Village of Oriska by a British Torrie Regiment and a group of Indians loyal to the crown. Although outnumbered and receiving a bad leg wound, Herkimer refused to surrender. His horse was killed but Herkimer continued to direct the battle from under a grove of trees. The Battle of Oriskany was one of the bloodiest of the Revolutionary War. The story of Oriskany is closely tied to that of Fort Stanwix in nearby Rome, New York.
There is a nice park dedicated to veterans of more recent conflicts, and especially those who served on the USS Oriskany an Essex Class Aircraft Carrier, near the Oriskany Battlefield.
Basaic's Related Pages
Oriskany Travel Guide
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Oriskany
- 1 Reviews
- 6 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (117)
Have you been to Oriskany?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Oriskany
Photos in OriskanySee All Photos (6)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Arizona Intro, 222 reviews, 550 photos, 6 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination United States of America Intro, 183 reviews, 381 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tucson Intro, 109 reviews, 327 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination New Mexico Intro, 91 reviews, 259 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Texas Intro, 104 reviews, 197 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Joshua Tree National Park Intro, 81 reviews, 190 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination California Intro, 68 reviews, 183 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cuyahoga Valley National Recreation Area Intro, 72 reviews, 169 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chiricahua National Monument Intro, 62 reviews, 164 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Great Smoky Mountains National Park Intro, 60 reviews, 148 photos